Blue Badge: Disabled Drivers Permit: Insurance?

Armada

Hi All,

My uncle (aged 80) has been informed by his doctor that he would qualify to be a Blue Badge holder - due to a congestive heart condition. This would be used mainly for parking in the disabled parking spaces etc..
It certainly could be very useful to him as walking distances is a problem, due to breathlessness etc.. but would anyone know (or have experience of) would holding such a status affect his annual motor insurance premium?
My uncle is very independent in other ways so in no way would be considered incapacitated.

Do you disclose that he has the permit to the insurance company, for eg..?

All replies appreciated.

He should certainly have disclosed his medical condition to his insurers, that would have made the blue badge disclosure irrelevant.

Thank you for your reply Mathepac. I'm sure he already has.

Just some amplification on the insurance point.

The reason your uncle should disclose his condition is that it constitutes what is called a material fact.
If you do not declare a material fact you run the risk of rendering the motor insurance policy void (or voidable at the insurer's option).
Where a condition arises after the policy was taken out it still has to be declared before the next renewal. The duty of disclosure revives at renewal.

Check that he has actually made the relevant disclosure as this obligation is quite strict in the context of insurance contracts.
The insurer's will probably just need a note from your uncle's G.P. verifying medical fitness to drive. However, you need to ask the insurers exactly what they require.

This type of situation is not uncommon with elderly drivers.
They have to get medical certification every 1 or 3 years for driving licence purposes once they turn 70 years of age.
It is always helpful to keep a photocopy of the paperwork - including medical cert - created for each licence renewal.

Back