Bloody playtv-TV3

legend99

Ok. Would never phone up those quiz things on tv cause you just know there is a catch. Anyway just to see what actually happens I recorded one of those playtv programs on telly as I was switching around the other night. What interested me was that it was a maths question where it should be by any definition of maths pretty easy. Anyway, this is exavtly what was on the screen:
2+7x1+
(18-19+22)-
7-3x5+
(11x5)-6=?
And the new lines I have above were as per the screen. now as I recall from my school days was BOMDAS, brackets, order, multiplication, division, addition, subtraction.
So I would have said if I had to answer, was that the sum was as follows by calcalating the value in brackets and by applying the multiplication with associated numbers
2+7+
21-
7-15+
55-6=57.
by the wonders of sky plus it turns out someone got the answer which was 336.

Just out of curiousity what are peoples thoughts?

Bomdas is same as bodmas. Same as bomdas is same as bomdas. Multiplication and division are commutative.
2x5/10=1 whether you start by multplying 2 by 5 or dividing 5 by 10

I assume the modus operandi of these shows is to ask a relatively easy question and get as many people on the lines as possible, hold them there so as to clock up the call charges until the prize money + a margin is covered and then go to the lines and answer the call at the head of the queue. Am I wrong in this assumption? I don’t want to have to ring up to find out.

The answer is its a con, have a look on playireland then link to company that runs the show. Its a revenue generator. I have complained that it is deceitful and unfair, its with the BCC but in this day and age I wont hold out any hope for a correct ruling. Its a case of anything goes and the gullible get stung. The one I recorded was the Irish Jerseys fiasco. The presenter give a big hint that 249 was close, the actual read out answer was 389!! How close is that. At least it keeps a few in work.

noah

The other con is that you aare not guranteed to speak to someone when you get through but you are still charged €2 or somthing.

So I think I know the answer ring up and get a voice saying sorry you are not lucky enough to be able to give your answer but do try again.

So people try 4, 5 or god knows how many times to get through to give an answer which is then wrong.

The other con is that you aare not guranteed to speak to someone when you get through but you are still charged €2 or somthing.

So I think I know the answer ring up and get a voice saying sorry you are not lucky enough to be able to give your answer but do try again.

So people try 4, 5 or god knows how many times to get through to give an answer which is then wrong.

Yes, i never ever ring these things but one evening i did, and that is exactly what happened.

Its a con. Spread the word!

Ok. But the technical running of the show such as being kept waiting, not getting on air etc is covered by their bull**** terms and conditions. Which I agree are disgraceful. But I'm hoping to have a few others agree on the ans or at least for someone to show me how they got their ans. If the answer they have is wrong I'd be sending a complaint to the BCI.

Whatever about not getting on live, I don't understand how they can get away without revealing how they got the answers. It was on one night & I totted up my answer (convinced I was right). Kept flicking back over to hear "this is definately the last chance.....oh we'll add another 10mins on". It dragged out for an hour more than it was ment to & then they just revealed the "answer" & that was it. Nothing about how they got the final answer.

I also thought that the people who got through sounded setup - most of them just said their first name & their answer & that was it. Whenever most Irish get onto a live program, there is a fair ole bit of "eh's" and "OMG, can;t believe I got through" etc. The show seems sham to me.

No idea where 336 comes from. But your one on telly looked pretty surprised someone got it. I'd have serious issues if the answer is basically incorrect which is why this one interested me so much. Like maths is maths.

I think these questions use careful wording such as "add up all the numbers on the screen" which they can interpret in many ways to give themselves several different "right" answers. i.e. does "on the screen" include the telephone number? The Prize? etc etc

This is filmed in Budapest and relayed to TV3.

The BCC are investigating them. There was a meeting only last Wednesday.

Back