Blocked kitchen sink

shaking

I'm hoping someone will be able to help me! Our kitchen sink is draining very slowly, I was juicing fruit yesterday and think some of the pulp might be blocking the drain can't think of anything else as it's definitely not grease. I've tried the washing up liquid and boiling water trick but it's not working. Anyone got any suggestions - I don't have a plunger will have to buy one tomorrow.

either disconnect the trap underneath (you should be able to do this by hand) and make sure you have something to catch the water or buy a plunger. a top tip for plunging is cover the over flow of the sink with a cloth so pressure doesn't escape through it, can be a bit tricky to do both (plunge and cover) if not used to it, so you may need an extra set of hands. good luck!

I've used the old unwound coat hanger trick and its worked occasionally for small blockages.

A plumbers would first clear anything from the trap under the sink

If still blocking he would check for unsupported and sagging waste pipe
usually found under kitchen floor going from an island unit in larger kitchen

Dish washer discharge being very hot may cause poorly supported
plastic waste pipe to sag

I'm hoping someone will be able to help me! Our kitchen sink is draining very slowly, I was juicing fruit yesterday and think some of the pulp might be blocking the drain can't think of anything else as it's definitely not grease. I've tried the washing up liquid and boiling water trick but it's not working. Anyone got any suggestions - I don't have a plunger will have to buy one tomorrow.

Happened me a few years back and I tried all the usual tricks, including drain unblocker solution, ended up removing the trap and it was very neatly blocked with a nice circle of candle wax - which melted every time I poured boiling water down but then hardened again. Lesson learnt, I never washed the candle holders in the sink again.

A strong solution of Washing Soda might do the trick...and sounds like you'll need that plunger. Or take the U-bend off? I did that once - the gunk build up is pretty gross!! Agree with cover overflow statement - makes a big difference - if you can't get it easily with your hand try covering with a wet cloth/sponge as that might help seal it up a bit while you're plunging.​

I unscrewed all the pipes under the sink and there was no blockage there, any further thoughts or is it time to call out a plumber?

Hi I had this problem and tried Cillit Bang drain blocker. It worked fine.

Re: Blocked kitchen sink - the plot thickens

When I got home yesterday I notice water on the floor, turned out it was coming from the washing machine which hadn't been turned on - looks like the water is draining into the drum of the machine. We live in an apartment with the sink, dish washer and washing machine all leading off the same pipes. Am I looking at a massive job?

am i correct in thinking that when you say everything is leading off the same pipes you mean all the individual waste pipes from sink/washing machine/dishwasher are going into one main waste pipe?

It sounds as though the blockage is further away than you can get at if thats the case - it may not be a huge job, id advise you to ask your neighbours are they having problems also - it may be that the main waste pipe is blocked - or just that your one is blocked at a point before it joins the main one. You probably do need a plumber at this point.

If you are managed by a management company you may want to give them a call - if its affecting more than one apartment they may take care of the maintenance costs.

I had a similar problem, where the sink was not emptying. Checked the pipes, etc as far as I could.

Called a plumber and he never turned up.

Used the Cillit Bang route. The sink cleared after a few days.

I've put stuff down it 3 times from some crowd called buster couldn't find Cillit Bang stuff do you think i should give it another go?

Tip..For those who have a dish-washer or washing machine connected into the kitchen sink waste.
Just ensure that the discharge hose has been clipped at high level before dropping down to connect to the sink waste.
This prevents sink waste water travelling down into the machine.

Also ensure that hose is properly attatched to waste fitting like with a jubileee type hose clip.

I find many improperly connected.

Sorry you would appear to need a plumber

Back