Blockages in communal sewer drain in front garden of one resident.

The Mac

Does anyone else have a problem where the communal sewer drain of a few houses gets blocked? The sewer pipe that leads out to the mains in the road and serves my house and three others is located in my garden and keeps blocking. I'm wondering does anyone else encounter this problem?

It's a combined drain until it reaches the public sewer which is usually in the road. Everyone on the line is responsible for its upkeep etc. If there is 6 houses on the line and the blockage occurs after the last house, before it enters the public sewer, then everyone is responsible for the clearance. If it occurs two houses away from the end of the line i.e. the two houses nearest the public sewer are unaffected then the other four houses share the cost of clearance. This also applies to repairs. Your county council drainage section should be abel to tell you who is on the line and which way it runs. If people refuse to contribute then they will serve notices on all the houses involved and teke it into court if necessary. These situations can be very stressful especially if one of the neighbours is in denial. .

My sister's house has the same issue with the mains as its located in her front garden. Don't think they were ever able to get the neighbours to cough up to share the cost of getting the drains cleared, even though they knew the blockage wasn't from their house. They recently had work done on their house & had the pipes serving their house replaced which has helped.

Does anyone else have a problem where the communal sewer drain of a few houses gets blocked? The sewer pipe that leads out to the mains in the road and serves my house and three others is located in my garden and keeps blocking. I'm wondering does anyone else encounter this problem?
This bloke did! :eek:

Back