Bitten by dog, person wont pay.

IMO Any dog that bites a person, unprevoked, enough for them to require any kind of medical treatment should be put down. I say this as a dog owner.

If this were to happen to a child would people be so quick to judge?

If it happened to any of mine i'm not sure the dog would have to wait to get to the Vets.

Its not the dogs fault - its the owners fault for not keeping the dog under control.

In this particular case the dog has bitten before - so the dog should be taken from the owner and either placed with someone who knows how to control it (which is not really a practical solution) or put down.

Tuesday evening my 70 year old (but not in the best health) mother was walking her dog, a tiny yorkshire terrier. 2 alsations ran out from a nearby house, one picked up her dog (on a lead) & began shaking it. The second alsation jumped up on my mother knocking her over & she broke her leg.

I know the original post (the way it was worded) may have seemed comical but people not being able to control their dogs can have serious consequences.

i went around to my mother's neighbour to ask him how he intended to control his dogs in future - he shrugged.

OK, this is not a case where you can do this. You obviously know the owner (an therefore the dog too) correct ? Have you ever had a run-in with this dog before ? What were the circumstances leading up to the incident? Was it a vicious bite or a nip at a moving object? How much injury was done to you and what did the doctor charge for? It's very easy for people to imediately ask for the dog to be put down after a one-sided story, but the truth is generally quite more complicated....

Okay I've gone through all of the legitimate posts, thanks to those who responded. To quickly answer questions above and others.
- No history before with people or their dog. I have no feeling either way about the family, just want expenses paid, which they agreed to initially.
- Their house is remote enough area so not many people would cycle past.
- Another cyclist was bitten before (dont know full detail).
- Guard never suggested to me to get the dog put down (he seems to know the family)
- I charged them 250, which is what it cost me (with jeans, lost work, doctor bill, antibiotics) but I need the money.
- I was sober, it was 11am, there were no other vehicles, my bike was roadworthy.. etc

Picture of bite
dogbite2.jpg

If she had paid up i assume it would have been ok for the dog to live
Yes, I have no intention of getting the dog put down, but if it helps me to get paid, then I am prepared to threaten it at least. Like I said, I've tried being reasonable, but I need the money.

Yes, I have no intention of getting the dog put down, but if it helps me to get paid, then I am prepared to threaten it at least. Like I said, I've tried being reasonable, but I need the money.
I don't think you will be able to negotiate around getting the dog put down. If you want the dog put down, chase the Gardai to progress your initial complaint. I don't think you'll be able to withdraw this complaint at a later stage.

I suppose you could just threaten to go back to the Gardai, and see if that moves things on.

Linux

That does look serious enough.

If you were attacked by the dog on a public road, I would seek to have that dog put down.

I would probably also look for damages. Not huge damages, but enough to teach the owners that they have to be responsible.

Brendan

I don't see why a nip from a dog is ok either. You could come off the bike and have a serious injury. Dogs shouldn't be nipping never mind biting people on the public road.

I don't see the distinction between a nip or a bite. If a dog bites or attacks someone in a public place then the owner is not in control.

That picture of the bite looks serious and I echo the earlier comments what if that were your child of 5 or 6 would your comments to the OP be the same. Dog owners need to be more serious in their control of dogs.

Batty, 2 Alsations attacked your elderly parent and small dog, what will they do to the next person? I think you should report this to the police.

I don't see the distinction between a nip or a bite.<snip>.

You've never owned an affectionate dog, then.

"Love nips" are common among both cats and dogs.

They are a means of expressing affection, especially when young.

They tend ot grow out of it in my experience of both animals, but this thing on LinuxKing's leg is a serious bite.

They need to have this mutt put down before it savages someone.

ONQ.

Linux

That does look serious enough.

If you were attacked by the dog on a public road, I would seek to have that dog put down.

I would probably also look for damages. Not huge damages, but enough to teach the owners that they have to be responsible.

Brendan

Yes, I have ot say I agree totally.

I'm sorry for making fun of the OP earlier, but it was the wording that had me convulsed.

The dog that did this needs to be put down.

And you need to be paid conpensation.

Your previous amount may compromise your postion in a later action - take legal advice and possibl yascribe it to costs - I don't think it would cover damages for something like this.

Does the lady have a dog license?

ONQ.

About 3 years ago my friends dog had attacked a neighbour who was drunk and on foot she was calling into the house on a visit,with her being drunk perhaps that was why the dog attacked her and grabbed her by the upper arm resulting in lacerations,she sued and was awarded £28,000 damages,the dog was a doberman and was not ordered to be put down

with her being drunk perhaps that was why the dog attacked her

I would be more inclined to think the dog attacked her because the owner did not have it under control.

This country is a disgrace of irresponsible dog owners - and worse, people who laugh and tell you to suck it up when you do report being bitten.

A dog attack can be a very serious act - depending on the size of a dog and human involved. An adult male rottweiller, doberman, pit bull could easily kill an adult human - we hear the stories in the media about children being killed by 'dangerous' breeds, but any breed not under control is dangerous - and not just to children.

We have a constant problem locally with a couple of vicious Yorkies, I posted about it here before and most people made fun of it. I am not afraid of tiny Yorkies personally, but these dogs are aggressive and its not my own safety that concerns me, someday one of these little yoks is going to attack a child. And despite being a small dog, they are capable of inflicting damage on a child.

I am a totally zero tolerance dog lover. If a dog is not being kept under control, then the dog should be removed from the owner. If that means putting the dog down - then so be it.

I think this is a serious issue. The dog should be put down full stop. If a kid had cycled or walked past, we could have been looking at something a lot more serious. One of my brothers was attacked by a dog (family pet) when he was young and spend weeks in hospital and has scaring. This is no trivial matter.

That picture of the bite looks serious and I echo the earlier comments what if that were your child of 5 or 6 would your comments to the OP be the same. Dog owners need to be more serious in their control of dogs.

That's the exact same point that I made to the owner. I can take that bite on my leg (it cleared up after a couple of weeks), but if it was a child it would be more serious. She just said that "he's very calm dog normally. It's just when he sees people on bicycles he gets excited", which for me equates to the dog being dangerous.

But my questions still boils down to: a) Do I have the right to ask the guard for a statement confirming that he witnessed them admitting liability? and b) Do I have the right to threaten to have the dog put if they dont pay me?

b) Do I have the right to threaten to have the dog put if they dont pay me?

You have a moral duty to seek for the dog to be put down after seeing that injury.

It's ridiculous to use it as leverage to get payment.

Apologies OP for trivialising your complaint initially.

A dog that is capable of causing your injury should be put down. The owner should also be penalised for not having her dog under control.

Good luck.

my dog was attacked last week by an alastation the vet said from the injuries she suffered it was trying to kill her thankfully she is recovering. I called to the owners house to be told our dog wont do that this dog is still out on its own everyday no muzzle completely free to roam any where. The dog warden whilst very nice does not have the power to do anything other then take a dog when he catches it out unmuzzeld other then that you have to get a gardai who is willing to get involved.

thanks again to contributors,

GarBow - You have a moral duty to seek for the dog to be put down after seeing that injury. It's ridiculous to use it as leverage to get payment.

I agree with you Garbow, but if morals worked they would have paid me and this would be a non issue. Also, the guards would have insured from the previous "biting of random cyclist" incident that the dog had been secured. Being the moral guardian of society is not my brief, nor do I have the authority to assume such a role.

I've tried to be moral by a) charging them only what it cost me and b) not getting the dog (which I'm sure means the world to them even though it's a brute) put down. I now need to know how to get the money back.

I have had no definite answer to my questions here so I am gonna proceed with changing track. I am gonna send the bill to the owner of the premises (her father), seeing as how she (the owner of the dog) would not pay..

The dog needs to be put down. Full Stop. Its rare to get a rogue dog, usually the owners fault but it could be a child next.

Could you claim from the owners insurance? House insurance normally covers some Public Liability. Ask the Guards to call and get the policy details if necessary.

Back