Bitcoin in a hyperbolic bubble

Status
Not open for further replies.
I listened to an Irish financial advisor tonight suggesting it is probably time for people to have a small amount of their portfolio in bitcoin.
I listened to part of it. He used the words: "It's high risk. I'm not recommending you do it".
then went into the fact he's regulated by the central bank, and therefore can't recommended unregulated products.

Can you tell us the time in the video he suggested it was time to have invested in Bitcoin?

I listened to part of it. He used the words: "It's high risk. I'm not recommending you do it".
then went into the fact he's regulated by the central bank, and therefore can't recommended unregulated products.

Can you tell us the time in the video he suggested it was time to have invested in Bitcoin?
It was the very first question that came in, he suggested if you have 400/500 a month spare to invest monthly, to put €420 in equities (he advises the Zurich dynamic fund) and 80 into bitcoin.

It was the very first question that came in
Of course I missed that! He addressed crypto again later where he covered all the regulatory bits. I know who Paul is, so was surprised to hear he's be recommending it without all the regulatory warnings.

Even with that first question, he said it's still a gamble in his opinion. And it's time to 'consider' a very small portion.

Twitter now considering holding btc as a reserve asset. Link.
There's just a little bit of a disconnect between the tweet, and what's actually written in the article:
"Segal said if Twitter employees and vendors ask to be paid in bitcoin, then the company may consider investing in bitcoin as part of its treasury."

A 9 minute interview on Coindex with Roubini.

[broken link removed]

Covering Tesla and Bitcoin.
Tether and Bitcoin.
Central Bank digital currencies

NYU Economics Professor Nouriel Roubini, reiterating his objection to bitcoin, lashes out at Tesla and other corporations that recently announced their investment in BTC, calling it irresponsible corporate behavior and accusing them of market manipulation. He calls on the SEC to investigate.

Brendan

[broken link removed]

Tether and Bitcoin.

NYU Economics Professor Nouriel Roubini, reiterating his objection to bitcoin, lashes out at Tesla and other corporations that recently announced their investment in BTC, calling it irresponsible corporate behavior and accusing them of market manipulation. He calls on the SEC to investigate.

Brendan
My hero. He has said it all before and I luv it every time. He effectively calls Musk a crook, that takes courage. That idiot in the corner laughing at Roubini only reinforced the message.

[broken link removed]

Tether and Bitcoin.

Brendan

I would tend to agree that the SEC should investigate Tesla / corporates. I think this highlights weak corporate governance in Tesla and too much control by Musk.

I really don't see how / why a corporation should and can allow speculative investments, it certainly isn't common practice to my knowledge. Given that Bitcoin is now being treated more as 'gold' type asset rather than a currency, and companies don't hold gold. It is a very strange practice!

Before I am accused of being anti-bitcoin, my comments have nothing to do with Bitcoin and bitcoin could be replaced with any volatile assets. I am highlighting that this is not good corporate governance. However, specifically to Bitcoin this is not evidence that it is now going to be used more.

I was wondering about that. I don't think he was laughing at him in a dismissive way. He was greatly amused. But I was laughing too.
No, he was laughing at him as he would watching a performing clown. Afterall, this is the genius that wrote bitcoin off at $13 and every point in between. That was the whole point of the exercise. It's a bit naughty of Coindesk to roll out this jester in order to illicit a certain response as part of the launch of Coindesk TV. Nouriel can be a filthy animal and make 'cocaine addict' jibes all day long - it only reflects poorly on himself as someone who lacks a modicum of class. We're talking about the views of a gravy-train academic who has built nothing against those who have built innovative companies.

Last edited:
No, he was laughing at him as he would watching a performing clown. Afterall, this is the genius that wrote bitcoin off at $13 and every point in between. That was the whole point of the exercise. It's a bit naughty of Coindesk to roll out this jester in order to illicit a certain response as part of the launch of Coindesk TV. Nouriel can be a filthy animal and make 'cocaine addict' jibes all day long - it only reflects poorly on himself as someone who lacks a modicum of class. We're talking about the views of a gravy-train academic who has built nothing against those who have built innovative companies.

But what are you views of Tesla holding Bitcoin for the general utility of BTC and it becoming more mainstream? Do you recognise it is strange that a corporation is buying it?

My stance (before judgement), it has been good for the speculators as the announcement gave a good bump in value. I am struggling to understand the logic for Tesla to hold it, it doesn't do anything for their business model and appears more like a speculative investment which raises questions on their corporate governance. I am not sure what triggered Tesla to buy it, but it is clear that BTC is now being treated more and more as an investment rather than a currency. As a shareholder in Tesla I am less than impressed.

Moving on from Nouriel's Fossetts gig, we've had an announcement this morning from America's oldest bank ( Bank of New York Mellon ) - stating that it will hold and transfer bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies on behalf of its asset-management clients. From the WSJ: "In time, BNY Mellon will allow those digital assets to pass through the same plumbing used by managers’ other, more traditional holdings—from Treasurys to technology stocks—using a platform that is now in prototype. The bank is already discussing plans with clients to bring their digital currencies into the fold."

Moving on from Nouriel's Fossetts gig, we've had an announcement this morning from America's oldest bank ( Bank of New York Mellon ) - stating that it will hold and transfer bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies on behalf of its asset-management clients. From the WSJ: "In time, BNY Mellon will allow those digital assets to pass through the same plumbing used by managers’ other, more traditional holdings—from Treasurys to technology stocks—using a platform that is now in prototype. The bank is already discussing plans with clients to bring their digital currencies into the fold."

vultures.....

As a separate point Roubini refers to a world which has no cash and all money is digital central bank money. That is very interesting for now there can genuinely be negative interest rates of whatever size. What puts a maximum negative rate today is the existence of physical money. For banks and large institutions there is a cost to holding large sums of physical money (custody and security) so that the central bank can make interest rates negative but only up to a point. For retail investors, at least up to say €1m, money under the mattress is a much more viable option and so I don't see deposit rates for small retail players going negative.
But if there is no such thing as physical cash then interest rates can be set at anything by the central bank. We would be freed from the liquidity trap. Negative rates really would be an encouragement for people to go out and spend rather than see their current account with the central bank dwindling. Would negative rates force them into gold, say? Yes maybe but only a bit more than zero rates currently cause that to happen.

@Duke: Are you suggesting negative interest rates are a societal good? Robbing people's wealth is not something I'm down with.
@Conan: Been done to death. Not a reasonable comparison. Of the recognised characteristics of a store of value and those of money, bitcoin scores well. You can't say that of tulips.

@Duke: Are you suggesting negative interest rates are a societal good? Robbing people's wealth is not something I'm down with.
You're probably a young sort and don't remember the '80s when inflation was 15% and after tax deposit rates were maybe 4%. Depositors never had it so good as today.
But yes I think the facility to charge negative interest rates would make monetary policy more effective and that would facilitate the central bank's role in managing monetary policy in the interests of society.
I note that the bitcoin community seem to have given up on the medium of exchange motif and are pinning everything on the "digital gold" aspect. If it is gold you want surely the real thing is far better than some virtual digital replacement. Can you imagine digital cornflakes?

You're probably a young sort and don't remember the '80s when inflation was 15% and after tax deposit rates were maybe 4%. Depositors never had it so good as today.
But yes I think the facility to charge negative interest rates would make monetary policy more effective and that would facilitate the central bank's role in managing monetary policy in the interests of society.
I note that the bitcoin community seem to have given up on the medium of exchange motif and are pinning everything on the "digital gold" aspect. If it is gold you want surely the real thing is far better than some virtual digital replacement. Can you imagine digital cornflakes?
The return has been insane so far. Take a risk, it's going over 100k. Get in, take your profits as you go and play with the houses money. Best performing asset class the last 10 years by a mile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back