Bitcoin in a hyperbolic bubble

Status
Not open for further replies.
From my previous post:
"You're now trying to fudge it by comparing different research not knowing what parameters and definitions they used in an attempt to discredit."

This is what your banking set buddies at Swift stated in their report:

"“cases of laundering through cryptocurrencies remain relatively small compared to the volumes of cash laundered through traditional methods"

Ive provided link to the report so if you'd like to critique it, have at it.
Actually I suppose the stats can be reconciled in a way.
UN says topside ML is 2 trn p.a.
"Another report" states that bitcoin is 1/800th of this. Topside $2.5bn p.a.
Chainanalysis reports $300bn p.a. illicit activity on bitcoin
So the vast bulk of this is not on money laundering, which you regard as harmless compared to credit card fraud
So what do you think the other $297.5 p.a. of illicit transactions in bitcoin are covering?

Actually I suppose the stats can be reconciled in a way.
How can they when you have no earthly idea what definitions of illicit use, fraud, etc. they ran with and what parameters were set? You're doing your best to bend and shape this to fit your narrative.

So the vast bulk of this is not on money laundering, which you regard as harmless compared to credit card fraud
It was YOU who took the lesser measure (the cc fraud stat) and tried to suggest it was so much less than the illicit transactions stat - whilst trying to suggest to people that this was a reasonable comparison!
And just for the record - in no way do I deem money laundering to be harmless by comparison with credit card fraud. Your big banking friends have paid $330 billion in fines related to it since 2008. That's just related to what was detected - so its fair to say, a fraction has been detected. I don't think your banking buddies will want bitcoin muscling in on this lucrative and highly profitable illicit activity.

Last edited:
Your big banking friends have paid $330 billion in fines related to it since 2008. That's just related to what was detected - so its fair to say, a fraction has been detected.
And there have been no bitcoin related fines. But sure isn't that the selling point. Bitcoin is decentralised and accountable to nobody.

And there have been no bitcoin related fines. But sure isn't that the selling point. Bitcoin is decentralised and accountable to nobody.
I guess then that you're now conceding that the current system is a complete sham. You don't deny that big banking moves billions for the cartels and others. Do you want to explain to folks why in jurisdictions like ours, you can go to prison for not paying your TV license and yet in this HSBC fiasco, not one banking executive spent a minute behind bars?

Bitcoin is decentralised, yes. That doesn't stop regulators regulating - if you have an issue with that, then take it up with regulators. It doesn't stop law enforcement investigating. In its current form, bitcoin is a wet dream for them - as it's only psuedo-anonymous - making it incredibly easy to trace.

Last edited:
And just for the record - in no way do I deem money laundering to be harmless by comparison with credit card fraud.
And just what does the following mean?
tecate said:
Credit card fraud is theft from each and every credit card holder.
By most people's moral compass stealing money, ransomware, human trafficking etc. are greater evils than concealing the proceeds and that is what you meant here and I agreed with you.
You now claim that you hold theft and concealing the proceeds to be on the same moral plain. You are ducking and diving and I don't like that except that it shows my forensic analysis of your stats has you squirming.

By most people's moral compass stealing money, ransomware, human trafficking etc. are greater evils than concealing the proceeds and that is what you meant here and I agreed with you.
Have you lost the run of yourself entirely, Duke? I don't remember getting into a discussion about what's the greater evil between crimes. This started out with a claim that bitcoin is being used almost exclusively for criminality when in-depth on-chain analysis has demonstrated it stands at no more than 1%. Furthermore, we have your banking buddies at SWIFT backing up the claim that illicit transactions on the bitcoin network are in the ha'penny place by comparison with cash. Ergo that claim has well and truly been debunked.

You now claim that you hold theft and concealing the proceeds to be on the same moral plain. You are ducking and diving and I don't like that except that it shows my forensic analysis of your stats has you squirming.

Your 'forensic analysis'? Hold on...let me pick myself up off the floor. Where were we? Ah yes, your 'forensic analysis' where you tried to compare a subset of illicit activity (credit card fraud) and say look! it's only a fraction of what goes on - on the bitcoin network (when compared with ALL illicit activity!). That forensic analysis? I've said it many times but this underscores it. There's NO objectivity to your critique of bitcoin / crypto because you have deep seated political views against it.

Are you suggesting that the uptick in the price of bitcoin over the course of the past few months is accounted for by cybercrime?
That certain wallets belonging to hackers have increased funds in them is a long way from providing any credible evidence that this is the primary activity on the network as a whole. What specific analysis did he cite?

No, he was suggesting that the high value of Bitcoin, and the relative ease with which it can be "hidden" from the authorities, had reached a level whereby the price of Bitcoin was incentivising more cybercrime. I never said he said it was the primary activity on the network as a whole but it is clearly a fairly significant problem.

No, he was suggesting that the high value of Bitcoin, and the relative ease with which it can be "hidden" from the authorities, had reached a level whereby the price of Bitcoin was incentivising more cybercrime. I never said he said it was the primary activity on the network as a whole but it is clearly a fairly significant problem.
Well, if either of us were in the ransomware business, I can't imagine either of us would give a fiddlers what the price of bitcoin is? If the scammers are looking for $5 million in bitcoin, then they end up with the equivalent amount in bitcoin based on whatever the price is at a given time.

There's certainly an opportunity for these types of scammers to harness certain characteristics of bitcoin to execute their scam. However, it remains just a tool. That's why headlines that state 'bitcoin scammers did X' are wayward. They're not 'bitcoin scammers' - they're scammers who just happen to utilise bitcoin as a tool. In the same way as fraudsters who exploit vulnerabilities with credit cards are fraudsters who utilise that means. scammers who exploit atm vulnerabilities - where the currency is cash, narcos where the medium is cash, cheque fraud....you get the idea.

In terms of it being a 'fairly significant problem', I'm sure it is - albeit that the data we have suggests that on the whole, it's included in that rate of 1% of transactions. It's still lower than that of fiat currency but of course just as people lament the 'bitcoin hype', who said that said hype always has a positive spin on it? In these cases, its getting far more coverage than it deserves relative to all other scams going on.

Last edited:
No, he was suggesting that the high value of Bitcoin, and the relative ease with which it can be "hidden" from the authorities, had reached a level whereby the price of Bitcoin was incentivising more cybercrime.

This makes little sense. I'm guessing if you are smart enough to carry out a sophisticated cyber attack then Im guessing you would be smart enough to figure out that if bitcoin was 1/10th of the price it is now, you would ransom 10 times more bitcoin to satisfy your demand.

@tecate your stats supplemented by UN stats indicate that $2.5bn p.a. topside is laundered through bitcoin. Heck I wouldn’t begrudge them that. The remaining illicit $297.5bn per Chainanalysis is spent on what? Human trafficking? Drugs trafficking? Ransomware? They are revealing statistics for which we are all grateful to you, but nonetheless disturbing. Have you any idea how much MBBF* are involved in these activities, I am sure the cult has tracked that down.

* My Big Banking Friends

Last edited:
@tecate your stats supplemented by UN stats indicate that $2.5bn p.a. topside is laundered through bitcoin. Heck I wouldn’t begrudge them that. The remaining illicit $297.5bn per Chainanalysis is spent on what? Human trafficking? Drugs trafficking? Ransomware?
Still trying to prove black is white, your Dukeness? What you're going on with here is irrelevant because your jumbling up numbers and stats taken from different studies - not knowing what specific parameters each study set. I'm not buying what you're selling.

Last edited:
Whilst I'm quite happy to adjust my view as things progress, somehow I doubt that.

The point is valid. I'm not in favour of kneejerk reactions - throwing the baby out with the bathwater. The same 'logic' was pushed about before the internet reached critical mass - the call back then was that it was the tool of pedo's and criminals and was of little use to society. Articles were published saying that the internet was a load of hype. Someone or other once said that it would have the impact of the fax machine and nothing more. Apparently they give out Nobel Prizes for that sort of thing. You want - and actually expect - that the G7 is going to ban bitcoin on the basis of the HSE succumbing to a ransomware attack? How about the HSE sharpening itself up and improving its network security?
I haven't missed the nub of any such 'argument'. It's one that has been brought up here before and it doesn't stand up to scrutiny. If you disagree - fine - but that's not my view on the subject.

Bitcoin offers individuals the ability to self custody wealth, to store it and to transmit it digitally without an intermediary. You'd do well to acknowledge that as a basic improvement and another choice that people otherwise haven't had available to them. I haven't heard the 'blockchain not bitcoin' mantra for a couple of years. It's what the banking set tried to claim - they've long since given up on that. Explain to us please how 'blockchain' has potential yet bitcoin doesn't? Over a number of years there has been a theme here where people will not concede to recognise a single positive facet of what the bitcoin network brings to the table. Blockchain technology as a whole has been advanced by the developer(s) behind bitcoin solving the double spend issue - but sure - lets give it credit for nothing. I draw my own conclusions from that.

As regards bitcoin not improving the lives of anyone you know - are you suggesting that this is the vital metric in determining the efficacy or otherwise of bitcoin? If bitcoin is so useless to society, why do people like civil liberties advocate Edward Snowden think it's a great advancement? When the US government leaned on visa/mastercard to prevent Wikileaks from receiving donations from the general public, the organisation turned to bitcoin - as it's one opportunity to continue to fund the organisation.

Why are people like Alex Gladstein of the Human Rights Foundation such proponents of bitcoin in terms of its value to society going forward?

In a tweet and accompanying article earlier this week, Gladstein spelled out precisely why your metric (i.e. none of my friends have had their lives improved as a result of bitcoin ) is flawed:

That doesn't prove anything. And of those that don't use it for such a purpose today, that in no way means that this is the case as we progress. Secondly, you're running with either the convenience or misunderstanding that if it doesn't do what you expect of it today, then that's it - we write it off. I couldn't disagree with that view more. What if we applied that logic to the development of the internet, its origins going back to the development of ARPANET in the late sixties. Lets say you passed judgement on it when it had scaling issues at the dial-up internet stage? You may be prepared to pass judgement on it today but I certainly won't do that.
The ability to pay for things with it firstly is still developing. You realise that we were all born into a world that already had fiat money - and accompanying systems and financial infrastructure in place from the get go? Further still that unlike bitcoin, use of those currencies is insisted on by force? With that backdrop, you think that with the flick of a switch, the ability to pay with bitcoin for anything can happen just like that? The internet faced scaling issues and overcame them. I believe bitcoin will also (not on the base layer but on layers built on top of the bitcoin network). But you want to write it off today because your peer group thinks its a load of rubbish - good luck with that but it's not an opinion I share.

Whilst neo-banks like Revolut are proving to be incredibly popular, the vast majority of people transfer funds via their bank account - for which there are banking fees.
On Revolut, sure you can but if all Revolut customers utilised the service without an ATM card, they'd have to start charging fees. The vast majority of people use the service with an accompanying ATM card - and you pay €30 stamp duty on that per year for starters. You chose transferring money to friends as your example rather than paying for goods and services with Revolut - a process through which they make money on - and said process builds in the cost into the price of the item you're buying already - ergo such a transaction isn't free. If you withdraw funds from an ATM via Revolut, you'll also pay fees at a certain point. If you do so abroad, you'll incur FX fees and local bank transaction fees.

So against a very specific example, you contrast that with Coinbase fees in particular? I have a Coinbase account that I don't use because I don't like their high fees or their customer service. Their high fees are well known - which it seems is why you use that specific example. You could use the example of switching up from a regular Coinbase account to Coinbase Pro where the fees are lesser. You could take it a step further and use Binance where fees can be as low as 0.02%. In an industry that's only getting started, it's not so unusual to have higher fees to begin with. There will always be downward pressure as such markets expand. The documents that accompanied the Coinbase direct listing acknowledged that downward pressure on fees going forward.

But lets not do any of those things. I can transfer bitcoin to my friends from my Breez Wallet to their Breez Wallet for a fraction of a cent regardless of what jurisdiction they're in or where they are in the world. That already makes it cheaper than Revolut. Furthermore, I or they don't necessarily have to have an associated bank account or complete/submit paperwork, etc. Added to that, there are plenty of jurisdictions where Revolut or the likes of it simply isn't available.

Bitcoin in its current form as a base settlement layer - without any further development - can match the capacity of Fedwire. Lightning network - running on top of the bitcoin base layer - can match the visa/mastercard network in terms of thru-put - with significant savings to be made for vendors/consumers over visa/mastercard.
All the while you are assuming that in every part of the world, its hunky dory to have an intermediary involved. I guess that's because you're using your peer group as a metric of bitcoins efficacy. There are many parts of the world where this is a major issue. You're also assuming that neo-banks or even bank accounts are available to everyone - they're not. I live in a country where it's incredibly difficult to get a visa/mastercard or any form of card that will work internationally. That's the norm in said country. That country also mismanages its currency and enforces unruly capital controls. I managed to extract my funds thanks to crypto - just before the currency managed to nosedive in valuation over and above all the other fiat currencies (there's a lot of competition right now in the race to the bottom).
As regards the low energy consumption, that is a complete and utter falsehood. And just to head this off before you come back on this, Visa or Revolut are not base layers. They don't get to exist without all the rest of the banking and currency infrastructure. Bitcoin is a base settlement layer and an entire monetary system in its own right.

It does no such thing. The removal of intermediaries is an advancement. It decreases settlement risk and third party custodian risk. It prevents governments from taking a haircut to your hard earned savings or in many jurisdictions, simply confiscating your funds. It prevents banks disposing of your life savings - of which there are many examples. And by the way, whilst you're so comfy back in Ireland, we came within a hairs breath of the very same thing. That sort of event only has to happen once!
It can act against the stealth tax that is imposed on citizens worldwide via inflating fiat currencies...or in cases of countries that have totally mismanaged their currency to the point where they've destroyed the local currency. Pick from a list of examples in any given year.

Because your peer group told you so? That's a complete falsehood - as I've set out above. Read Gladstein's tweet and accompanying article. Pay heed to the fact that it is wayward to pass judgement on an innovation that has yet to mature.

Cash is the currency of choice of criminals - hands down. Credit card fraud is rampant - the bill for it in the US alone comes to around $6 billion per year. Meanwhile, banks have paid out $330 billion in fines related to fraud and market manipulation since 2008. They still carry on with facilitating money laundering at the highest level because they're only paying cents on the dollar in fines - it's still very much worth their while.

No it doesn't. See above. If you're talking micro-transactions, bitcoin can be transacted via the lightning network for fractions of a cent. That makes it cheaper than fiat.
When it comes to larger international transactions, then transactions on the bitcoin base settlement layer are more cost effective than moving fiat. And if we want to get in to very large sums, then its more cost effective again. It also allows for direct settlement with no counterparty risk. Have you ever carried out an international wire transfer? How much did it cost and how long did it take?

See above - via layer 2, yes it can match visa/mastercard throughput.

It is volatile because it has yet to mature as an asset. As a store of value over the longer term, its proven to be an excellent store of value. If you're presenting with a low time preference right now, sure - it could have shorter term issues as a store of value. However, you've opened on the payments angle. If you're going to go into store of value use case and comparisons with gold, then we'll have to go through everything - not just certain points that you pick out because bitcoin has several advantages over gold and its going to pull market cap away from it on that basis.
Once it matures, I expect it to be just as boring as gold in this respect. You should also note that in its not too distant past, gold also presented as being just as volatile yet nobody seems to mind.

Absolute rubbish. Others before you have presented with this and it doesn't wash. Firstly of the gazillions of projects, very few of them have anything to do with store of value / currency use case. Beyond that, go out and do it then. Go out and start letitroll-coin and see how far you will get. You realise that bitcoin is a trillion dollar asset? You can ignore network effect all day long but I certainly have no intention of doing so.
As regards Doge, it was started as a meme - not for use as a currency or store of value. Even if it gains some traction for payments it in no way detracts from bitcoin. I'm open to bitcoin still being usurped but at this stage, it can only be by something that is 10x better than it - not something that may have the upper hand on one single characteristic whilst failing the others.

See above. Analogue cash and digital cash are used for the vast majority of crime and fraud. There's nothing that you can say to refute that.

So tell me - how is it that at a high level the banking system caters for money laundering? Explain to me how cash is used extensively in the narcotics trade? How is it that we all have to cover the billions in costs when it comes to credit card fraud?

Please let me know if I've left any point unaddressed. I'm still keen to understand how bitcoin threatens 100% of GDP but even more fascinated to hear how crypto threatens lives! Can you expand on that please?

Over the course of nearly 4 years here, I've made no secret of the fact that I've held bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies. My views have been consistent over that time period. Please note that over that duration, I also didn't hold crypto/bitcoin for extended periods. If you're suggesting what I think you are, then would I not talk down the market during these times?
What you should note is that if I was thinking of myself, I should be actively encouraging what I consider to be wayward beliefs as regard bitcoin. So long as there are objectors, they serve to lengthen the adoption process. A lengthening of the adoption / maturation process means more volatility and more opportunity from a speculative point of view.
Now my turn. If there is some assumption that anyone presenting here who doesn't hold bitcoin and thinks that its just plain wrong has clean hands in these discussions, I don't agree. For many, the notion of bitcoin goes against their world view and they're against it from a political point of view or they dislike the great unwashed who brought it to the fore or that it challenges an inequitable financial system - inequitable for many yet one that they are quite happy with in that they have learned to navigate it better than most or are in a privileged position to do so.

I've long since clarified that I accept that bitcoin still has the potential to fail. As its network effect expands, that likelihood lessens but I still recognise it as a possible outcome.
Hi @tecate appreciate you taking the time to come back and so fully address my post. My apologies I didn't have time today to come back and give it the full answer it deserves (i was v busy earning useless fiat :) ) I will come back tomorrow and get to it.

I admire your willingness to address it and the quality and thoughtfulness put into your positions. Your are part of the 1% of bitcoin loyalists who are willing to try and engage on the basis of logic. Broadly I see emotional responses from the bitcoin community - that has all the hallmarks of a religious fever at best and at worst the zeal of a bunch of multi-level marketers attempting to recruit more participants implicitly or explicitly knowing the very value of the thing they hold will increase the more people they 'get on board'.

My very quick response is that you may slightly have missed the nuance I was getting at..........whatever incremental improvement Bitcoin itself and itself only has brought to society (not talking blockchain here) is not ably covered by the downsides it has created......being its superiority over cash/bank wires as a medium of exchange for extortionists and kidnappers.

The last two pages of this thread has been a back and forth on cash/bank wires vs. bitcoin........the invention of money and the international banking system is an incremental technology/improvement that has been immense in improving the lot of human civilisation.....lest you forget the last 150 years aided by fiat money and fractional reserve banking (AND lots of other things of course) has seen the greatest progress in aggregate of human living conditions witnessed since records began.

Cash & Banking are used for BAD and enable BAD things but in aggregate we are better off for their invention & existence (see above)

Bitcoin, to date, fails to demonstrate enough incremental beneficial improvement OVER fiat cash/banking to lets call them ordinary people to outweigh the societal costs that come from creating a decentralized, anonymous store of value thats so useful to extortionists that its currently the medium of exchange in an extortion attempt that is crippling Ireland's health system. 99.9% of people currently engaging with that health system right now I can safely estimate have seen not single improvement in their lives because of the invention of bitcoin 13 years ago.....and yet here they find themselves 13 years post-BTC unable to go for scans for cancer etc. with bitcoin as a contributing factor (dont remeber any previous country wide extortion attempts & yes HSE needs to shoulder blame for cybersecruity failing but here we are and here they are no healthcare some thing called bitcoin at the centre of it all that they've never heard off!) This is the first European country in history I believe having its medical system completely brought to its knees by remote hackers demanding a bitcoin ransom. Do you not see a correlation and causation there?

So to summarise:

Fiat cash & Banking are used for BAD and enable BAD things but in aggregate we are better off for their invention & existence. The externality of extortions & kidnapping denominated in it are the price we pay for the good we get. We accept it as a cost and society agrees with me!

Bitcoin, to date, fails to demonstrate enough incremental beneficial improvement OVER fiat cash/banking to the ordinary majority lets call them to outweigh the societal costs that come from creating a decentralized, anonymous store of value thats so useful to extortionists. My bet in the next 12 months is that the G7 has come to same conclusion as me and will stomp out this backwater and aim to choke off crypto from what it really needs which is access to the Fiat banking system for its on/off ramps. Let’s revisit in a year........I think the G7 agrees with me, not you and their actions over the next 12 months will clearly demonstrate that. The best indicator of this of course will be the price of bitcoin……its going to be hit very very very hard…..reflecting the thousand cuts the G7 will now perform.

Last edited:
i was v busy earning useless fiat :)
Good for you - and just so that there's no misunderstanding, I've never suggested it was useless - like most things, it comes with its advantages and disadvantages.

letitroll said:
Your are part of the 1% of bitcoin loyalists who are willing to try and engage on the basis of logic.
At this point - between people who are working in the sector and those who take a close interest in it - we're talking about a hell of a lot of people - and a broad spectrum of people. Sure, there are those who's interest doesn't extend beyond a speculative punt. However, the sector has attracted a hell of a lot of talent who have walked away from careers in conventional financial services and other disciplines to work on what they see as an innovation which will have considerable impact once it fully unfolds. Therefore, if your figure is 1%, I'd say you need to change up the locations in which you are engaging with people on the topic because I don't find that in any way representative of folks who engage intelligently on this subject.

letitroll said:
Broadly I see emotional responses from the bitcoin community - that has all the hallmarks of a religious fever at best
If that's your experience, I guess that's your experience. However, be aware that exactly the same is evident in many who take the opposite view - and enter the discussion with some deep seated political views on the subject. It very much cuts both ways.

letitroll said:
and at worst the zeal of a bunch of multi-level marketers attempting to recruit more participants implicitly or explicitly knowing the very value of the thing they hold will increase the more people they 'get on board'.
As above, perhaps you need to choose a better forum in which you engage with those who have an interest in decentralised blockchain/crypto. On the flip side, there are so many mistruths that are bandied about relative to bitcoin and decentralised crypto, many feel a need to set that straight. There's very much two sides to everything.

letitroll said:
My very quick response is that you may slightly have missed the nuance I was getting at..........whatever incremental improvement Bitcoin itself and itself only has brought to society (not talking blockchain here) is not ably covered by the downsides it has created......being its superiority over cash/bank wires as a medium of exchange for extortionists and kidnappers.
I don't think I've missed the nuance of what you were getting at - I simply disagree with it entirely. There's little point rehashing it - I've set out in my previous response some progress that bitcoin has made in terms of its contribution as a societal good and why the metric you applied (a quorum of your Irish peer group) isn't appropriate. I've also addressed the fact that like the development and roll-out of many technologies and innovations, it's a case of slow at first, then all at once. Anyone that passes summary judgement on an innovation that is still in development is doing so in error.
On the flip side, you cite the use of bitcoin by 'extortionists' and 'kidnappers'. I thought you were addressing ransomware but you're going a tad further still. So, we have epic levels of credit card fraud but that's ok in your view it seems. We have all manner of crime related to cash - which is still king when it comes to criminal use. We have the conventional banking system facilitating the cartels and organised crime at the highest echelons. You've tacked on kidnapping now also. What percentage of payments to kidnappers are made in bitcoin?
This smacks of double standards and there is no way in the world that I agree with what you're suggesting here. We don't need to take it any further than that - only to agree to disagree.

letitroll said:
The invention of money and the international banking system is an incremental technology/improvement that has been immense in improving the lot of human civilisation.....lest you forget the last 150 years aided by fiat money and fractional reserve banking (AND lots of other things of course) has seen the greatest progress in aggregate of human living conditions witnessed since records began.
I'm unaware as to what extent you've been following discussions here, but all of this has been acknowledged. My view is that systems evolve continually. The advent of decentralised cryptocurrency forms part of that evolution. Additionally, you should note that the vast majority of people in crypto circles foresee a situation where people are given choice. That is to say, citizens have the option of using sovereign currency, private digital and decentralised digital currency. You cite a positive evolution with regard to banking and money - and I agree. However, that doesn't mean that it's not without its flaws and failings and that we shouldn't strive to seek ways to address those failings.

letitroll said:
Cash & Banking are used for BAD and enable BAD things but in aggregate we are better off for their invention & existence (see above)
Agreed - albeit that plenty of people around the world would find it hard to see it that way (i'm thinking in terms of current examples - your average Venezuelan or Lebanese - and numerous others who have had their life savings vapourised courtesy of the flaws of the existing system).

letitroll said:
Bitcoin, to date, fails to demonstrate enough incremental beneficial improvement OVER fiat cash/banking to lets call them ordinary people to outweigh the societal costs that come from creating a decentralized, anonymous store of value thats so useful to extortionists that its currently the medium of exchange in an extortion attempt that is crippling Ireland's health system.
The first part of that statement, I've tackled in my previous response to you....suffice it to say that in no way are we in agreement - so we can park it up on a agree to disagree basis. On the second part, isn't it wonderful that the HSE has a scapegoat for their incompetence. I'd be far more inclined to take an entirely different view on this subject. Ransomware has been knocking about for a quite a while. All organisations and individuals are potential victims. Larger organisations represent a larger prize. However, the expectation is that large organisations are professional and that they manage their network security accordingly. It didn't in any way surprise me that one of the most mismanaged organisations in the country succumbed to a network security breach. But - you say (and I'm very much sure they say!!) - it's bitcoin's fault. That's convenient for them.
The notion that the baby should be thrown out with the bathwater on the basis of someone's errant use of bitcoin isn't in any way equitable to me. Again, we won't be agreeing - so we can park it up right there.

letitroll said:
99.9% of people currently engaging with that health system right now I can safely estimate have seen not single improvement in their lives because of the invention of bitcoin 13 years ago.
This statement is wayward in the extreme. Bitcoin is a tool - no more, no less. Like you have acknowledged with cash, banking, etc. - it can be used for good and for bad. The stakeholders who are responsible are the purpetrators of this extortion and HSE management who have failed to secure their network. But of course it's the easiest thing in the world to blame bitcoin - as it's something new that the general public still don't understand and its perfect for the HSE to deflect away from their incompetence. Better yet, it's a decentralised protocol - there is no bitcoin HQ or bitcoin CEO - so its the easiest thing in the world for them to lay the blame on it.

letitroll said:
This is the first European country in history I believe having its medical system completely brought to its knees by remote hackers demanding a bitcoin ransom. Do you not see a correlation and causation there?
I think I've set out exactly what I believe is at issue. I live in a developing nation with a history of rampant corruption and high levels of poverty. And yet I've never seen someone lying in a trolley in a hospital corridor. The issues here are human error and mismanagement - which is interesting because it's also what fails fiat-based monetary systems the world over.

letitroll said:
My bet in the next 12 months is that the G7 has come to same conclusion as me and will stomp out this backwater and aim to choke off crypto from what it really needs which is access to the Fiat banking system for its on/off ramps. Let revisit in a year........I think the G7 agrees with me, not you and their actions over the next 12 months will clearly demonstrate that.
This is something that has been a perennial topic since way back. Governments have banned bitcoin and then reversed such decisions or u-turned by turning a blind eye. When it comes to governments, incompetence knows no bounds - so of course it wouldn't surprise me in the least if such a decision was taken. If a hard line is taken, then it won't be for the reason that you mention. The G7 banning bitcoin won't in any way shape or form prevent ransomware attackers from utilising bitcoin. Quite the opposite. However, there always remain other reasons why they might go down this road. The outcome is not as clear as you would think. In the US, they would face a backlash. Wall Street are now involved - and if those guys get their fingers burnt, there will be blowback. There's also likely to be general political blowback. You may think, that couldn't possibly be - we're talking about a tiny group. However, decentralised crypto taps into the mentality of a large tract of America. There is an ever growing number of US politicians who are vocal in their support of bitcoin and decentralised blockchain.
The US got the upper hand in recent years because it nurtured tech by allowing its open development. We only discuss bitcoin here but there are a whole host of (non-currency/store of value)-related decentralised blockchain projects being developed. Ban bitcoin and they have to ban them too. Those entrepreneurs are incredibly mobile - now more than ever. People working in blockchain circles were ahead of the curve that came with covid - in that they already had decentralised workplaces. They will simply up sticks and leave the US - and take that innovation with them.

So right now, I think it's more likely that they don't go nuclear. If they do go nuclear, there will certainly be consequences. Anyone holding crypto will get their fingers burnt in the short term. However, I don't agree with the thesis that this will kill it. It will set its rate of development back but they will lose total control over it - and it will come back to bite them in the whatsits. That's how I foresee that playing out. I could be as far out as a lighthouse - who knows. I know there are plenty of twists and turns left in this whole thing and all will be revealed soon enough.

Last edited:
Pleasure to have a back forth @tecate.........we have very different views..........time will tell.

Think recently Stanley Druckenmiller pointed out that it would be highly unusual for a first of its kind of anything to come to dominate a nascent technology space.......he pointed out that Facebook was the 11th social network..........Google the 4th or 5th search engine.

BTC is possibly the AltaVista in waiting of the crypto world (for those that don't know what AltaVista was...... Google it ;) )

@letitroll You raise an interesting debate as to whether bitcoin adds or subtracts from net human welfare. I know @tecate sees it at least partially in these terms and aligns me with the "baddies" or what he calls my Big Banking Friends. Actually I am not really focussed on these moral dimensions (carbon footprint doesn't faze me).
My central position is with the Nobel Prize winners Stiglitz, Shiller, Krugman*, Merton and of course Professor Roubini - bitcoin is not a currency and it will be found out in the end.
But there is no doubt that bitcoin is being used today - to the tune of $90bn transactions per day according to @tecate. So what is the balance sheet in terms of human welfare arising from that activity? Again @tecate informs us that $300bn a year is used for illicit purposes of which only a very tiny portion is for that relatively morally blameless activity of keeping ill gotten gains away from prying eyes. That's an awful lot of BAD.
Nonetheless this is only 1% of total activity. So is the balance of added human welfare 99-1 in favour of bitcoin? I don't think so. The vast, vast majority of that activity is speculative. I am not so prudish as to say that is BAD but I do give it a neutral. So are there any truly added human welfare benefits which cannot be accommodated by fiat? Not where I live can I see it. But @tecate lives in a less fortunate part of the world and possibly he sees real added value to the citizens of that country for whom all trust in the official currency is gone.
For those who use it as a store of value, which includes in the developed world, I see eventual net misery.
Impossible to guess at a final answer to the interesting question you raise.

* I know, I know, he got it wrong on the fax machine.

Last edited:
Think recently Stanley Druckenmiller pointed out that it would be highly unusual for a first of its kind of anything to come to dominate a nascent technology space.......he pointed out that Facebook was the 11th social network..........Google the 4th or 5th search engine.

BTC is possibly the AltaVista in waiting of the crypto world (for those that don't know what AltaVista was...... Google it ;) )

It's useful to the discussion that you bring up Drukenmiller. So on the 11 May, Drukenmiller was interviewed on CNBC. With the exception of a ten minute clip, CNBC have put the 30 minute interview behind a paywall. However, we can get Business Insider's interpretation of it here. Within that interview, Drukenmiller is roundly critical of both fiscal and monetary policy. The central bank high priests that Dukey tells us we have to blindly trust are getting it wrong. On the back of that, Drukenmiller predicts that the reserve currency status of the USD will come to an end within 15 years.

For his thoughts on crypto/bitcoin, for expediency I'll just quote Business Insider directly:

"8. "Five or six years ago, I said that crypto was a solution in search of a problem. That's why I didn't play the first wave of crypto - we already have the dollar, so what do we need crypto for? Well, the problem has clearly been identified, it's Jerome Powell and the rest of the world's central bankers."
9. "The most likely replacement for the dollar would be some kind of crypto-derived ledger system invented by some kids from MIT or Stanford or some other engineering school that doesn't exist yet."
10. "It's going to be very hard to unseat bitcoin as a store of value, because it's got a 14-year brand, and there's a finite supply. Ethereum has the lead in terms of smart contracts, in terms of commerce. But Facebook was not the first social network, it was number 11, and Yahoo may have invented the search engine, but we all know what happened with Google versus Yahoo. It's just not probable in my mind that Ethereum is gonna be the ultimate winner."

This is the context in which he considered bitcoin's likely staying power. When it comes to Central Bank Digital Currencies (CBDCs) and private digital currency, it's going to be very easy for those entities to role them out. CBDCs are an extension of fiat and as we know, fiat isn't a thing of choice - it's use is enforced down the barrel of a gun. For private digital currency, the facebooks and google's of this world have enormous networks that they can push such currencies out onto. Bitcoin lacks any central authority and such infrastructure and so it's adoption has to be by choice and organic in nature.
Having said all that, neither of these things fulfil bitcoin's role - they're entirely different. They offer people choice and they're competing forces to an extent, but rather than put bitcoin in its place, they will condition people in the use of digital currency, provide further validation of why people need decentralised cryptocurrency and ultimately onboard more people into bitcoin.

Now you mentioned that the first of a kind rarely survives. It's not widely understood/known but bitcoin's not the first of it's kind. There were various projects that predated it. Otherwise, Drukenmiller speaks to bitcoin's network effect. I'm open to bitcoin being usurped but it will have to be something that's 10x better than it.

In our back and forth, I referred to the inequality that exists in the current system. In another more recent interview, Drukenmiller had this to say:

"I don’t think there has been any greater engine of inequality than the Federal Reserve Bank of the United States the last 11 years.”

You were quite right in suggesting that the evolutionary progression of money and banking has on balance been a positive force for society. However, it's only logical that said evolution should continue with crypto and blockchain playing a role going forward.

Last edited:
@WolfeTone.......but could only jokingly ridicule, a sign that perhaps my points have merit & stung somewhat?

I apologise for my glib response. I have been around these parts quite a while, through the bitcoin storm since 2017, so I am hesitant to take too seriously more commentary that is premised on some outlandish proclaimations.
No disrespect, but your claims of the G7 crushing bitcoin over the next 12 months is the opposite end of emotional response on the bitcoin spectrum.

Let me say, it works both ways in the bitcoin sphere but from earlier
Im of the view that the truth lies somewhere in-between.

I don't proclaim that bitcoin will destroy central banks and fiat. I think monetary policy of central banks is capable of doing that by itself.

Bitcoin is not a threat to centralised command banking economies it is a optional alternative solution (best so far) to the application of bad monetary policy, or monetary policy interpreted as such.
I do think it has potential to put some manners on abstract, ideological, goal-shifting, "for the greater good" application of monetary policy makers.

However I will back up a bit from big picture stuff. A reversion from time to time to Satoshi's bitcoin paper is always useful.
From reading the introduction and proposal it is clear to me that bitcoin has morphed (or morphing into) something that was never envisaged in that paper.
To my mind satoshi did intend that bitcoin be used for purchasing lattes or for small online purchases.

"Completely non-reversible transactions are not really possible, since financial institutions cannot
avoid mediating disputes. The cost of mediation increases transaction costs, limiting the
minimum practical transaction size and cutting off the possibility for small casual transactions."

In that regard bitcoin has failed, or failed to date.
I'm of the view that it has failed to date, that is to say I think it still has potential to fulfill that function but there are technological, economic and political factors that need to align for that to occur. When that occurs, if ever, is unknown suffice to say it is reasonable to assume that satoshi did probably envisage it would happen, if not immediately, but within a decade or two at most.
It is worth noting that on the technological side satoshi is clear that the "network itself requires minimal structure."
Bitcoin is not rocket science, and for those of technical capability Im under the impression that the prospect of building on and developing on this network is immense? A lot of this stuff goes over my head but I'm intelligent enough to grasp that those operating in this sphere appear to understand each other and are confident that indeed further development of the network is a real possibility.

There is too much noise surrounding bitcoins price. This is understandable, but laser-eyes, Musk, G7, Ransomware, Central banks, BOHA, energy use, while not irrelevant are all side lines to the fundamental function of bitcoin;

"A purely peer-to-peer version of electronic cash would allow online
payments to be sent directly from one party to another without going through a
financial institution."

Stanley Druckenmiller pointed out that it would be highly unusual for a first of its kind of anything to come to dominate a nascent technology space

That's a fair point, but the demise of Alta Vista was not the end of search engines. Search engines just got better.
So bitcoin is here to stay, it is just a matter of whether it will become #betterbitcoin or not.

fiat isn't a thing of choice - it's use is enforced down the barrel of a gun.
My advice to you is to get out of Dodge, quick. I now understand your emotional antipathy to fiat and I must remember in future to be more tolerant of the circumstances you find yourself in.

My advice to you is to get out of Dodge, quick. I now understand your emotional antipathy to fiat and I must remember in future to be more tolerant of the circumstances you find yourself in.
I guess all of these things only become real in the Duchy of Marmalade if they come from an approved Duke of Marmalade source rather than from one of the great unwashed so here goes:

“fiat currencies have underlying value because men with guns say they do.”

Mr. Paul 'Fax Machine' Krugman, 2018.

@tecate Nice one. I have dropped Mr Fax Machine from my list of approved sources.

On a more serious note I do not find this argument that you can pay your taxes with fiat very convincing of its intrinsic value. To me fiat has, let's not call it intrinsic value, but society backing. That is in the form of debt. For people to pay off their debts they must earn an economic living i.e. contribute goods and services to society. So fiat is in this sense an IOU between members of society which will be settled in goods and services. The threat to this is a collective decision of the indebted not to play ball. But this is as unlikely as a majority of bitcoin nodes subverting the blockchain.
But there is one debt which is dodgy, I admit. It is the debt owed by the government. The ability of the government to honour its debt in goods and services stems from its ability to raise revenues from the economy. The unprecedentedly easy monetary policy does place this in some doubt. But IMHO bitcoin is not the answer since, as Satoshi says, it has no intrinsic value. If it had I would fill my boots with it. That it has network adoption does not cut it for me as intrinsic value.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back