Birthday gift ideas for 2 year old girl?

Bosshog

hi i dont have any kids myself so im not very good at this. I dont want to go for the usual clothes or teddy bears etc.
something educational / early learning type thing perhaps?

wondering if any of you have any good suggestions?

Early learning centre (one on Henry St in Dublin) has some good educational toys. They have they age marked too, to help the less kiddie oriented!

Daisy & Tom in the 'new' shopping centre in Dundrum has a wide selection of kids toys.

I got a lovely wooden bike/trike and trailer for my 2 year old for his 2nd birthday and he has hours of fun on it. He spends his time loading the trailer and bringing everything of for a spin on it. It will last him a good few years and it is very sturdy.

It came flat packed, so make sure to put it together first (maybe shop would do so as it took a good bit of strength to shove pieces together) so as to see the excitement on her face.

I got it in the Early Learning Centre in Waterford. I had to order it as the girl said "they fly out the door" once they come in.

Aquadraw is quite a good option. Essentially, it's a mat that turns blue when it comes into contact with water. It comes with a couple of pens to draw on it with. The mat has all the numbers and letters around the edge, and the worst mess you'll get is a little bit of water on the floor.

If it's not your kid, then chances are other people (parents, aunts, uncles etc) will purchase the strict necessities.

And given that the kid is only 2, they won't really give a toss what you buy them one way or the other.

What I do in such situations is buy something like prizebonds or savings certs for the kid so that they'll have something for themselves when they get older and actually know what they want to buy - and in the meantime, they may actually earn extra money apart from your investment.

ClubMan said:
A miniature ironing board?

You would need to buy the iron as well!!! Does any company make an miniature iron that is safe for a two year old? Woul the 2 year old's parents know what an iron board is. I work close to a Laundrete and fromwhat I see it seems to me that very few people do their own laundry anymore. A whole new topic I am sure.

Our daughter was bought a miniature ironing board/pretend iron when she was about 2. Hubby was horrified and immediately ran out and bought her a carpentry set!! He came home with it and said "my daughter can be whatever she wants to be in this world, if she puts her mind to it..I'm not having her thinking that her only option is to be someone else's drudge!!"

Admirable..if I had not been standing in the kitchen doing his ironing when he came out with this gem!! I'll leave the ensuing conversation to your imagination.

This continued over the years. Hubby's mother bought the two daughters prams, cots, miniature kitchens. Hubby bought them sailing boats, kites, scalextrix (not too sure who that was for hmmm). Anyway the daughters are now 24 and 21.

Last week the eldest was showing us a new top she'd bought when a button fell off. Conversation as follows:

1st Daughter: Oh no, that's terrible, I just bought it and I checked the stitching!!

Daughter No.2: There's a very good tailor in *********

Boyfriend: Don't worry honey, I'll drive you there, it'll be done by tonight.

Daughter No.2: Will you take my trousers? Mum says they need something called blind stitching, just mention that will you? Actually I'll go with you.

They all trouped out.

Liteweight (in my head): It's a button for godsake!!!!!!!!!!

Hubby: Jumps up, high fives me and shouts RESULT.

Bring her on a day out to the Zoo if you live in Dublin - get loads of pics taken and her parents will love you for it too as they are getting the day off.

My daughter (now three) plays with animals all the time - after the visit get her some toy animals - she will play and learn at the same time

Back