birds in join between houses

lanie

Hi, I live in a semi detached house and have been worken for the last couple of weeks by birds chirping and squealing outside my bedroom window. I was talking to my neighbour the other day and she said they can see them going in and out of our roof.(I think) We have already checked the attic and no sign of them there so they must be in the roof. Anyway the noise is waking them as well at 5.30 am so I think we need to get them removed or blocked up. Their house is rented from a builders firm but ours is bought. She reckons that the builder company has to come out and look at it and remove as our NHBC certificate (house 1yr old) would cover it and she reckons that because its between theirs as well they should come out.
Anyone any advice or who I should contact to move the birds on. Do chimney sweeps/ gutter cleaners do this sort of job too?

I'm not sure how surprised others may be with your wish to get rid of these wonderful little birds. I can't imagine a nicer sound to wake to than their chirping. It sounds like they could be house sparrows which means you are particularly lucky.

You'll only have their wonderful chirping for the next few months and then they will leave you in peace (to wake up to the sound of the traffic instead??). Meanwhile, maybe you could rethink your desire to get rid of them, and, no doubt, their budding offspring. They have made use of your presence in the world, it would be lovely if you could return the favour.

I know what you mean but I think it's annoying the neigbours more than us. I don't think they appreciate the early morning wake up call.

They maybe starlets, In a house I used to live in we hade them and swallows every summer. the starlets sing alot and the swallows poo on the walls alot. after a short time i got used to it. I loved the idea that the same swallows returned every year. No matter what bird they are they won't be around long, then as sparkeee says, close the entrance. however if you have to evict them, they'll get over it.

Without getting too David Attenborough on you, I wonder if you informed your neighbour about the possible type of bird (house sparrow perhaps, swallows if you are incredibly blessed, or starlings) and a bit about its characteristics, would she then realise how amazing these species are, and how important it is NOT to block up their nesting sites or get rid of them. House sparrows are on the red list of endangered species in the UK.

It's all these small decisions that add up to wildlife species being threatened. Is it not the most hopeful, gorgeous and positive thing to know that a little family of birds is making your home, their home?

If you or your neighbour listened to this piece of amazing radio:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/science/soundscape_swallow.shtml

you'd be in awe of what you may have, you lucky thing!

We have a nest in our roof at the moment. It drives my youngest nuts cos the birds make such a noise when she's trying to sleep. Given how the house is built the birds are at floor level to her room. That said, she loves watching the mummy bird fly in and out with worms for the babies and while the noise is a bit distracting (at best) and a pest (at worst), I think it's a lovely education for her.

Mind you...we have promised her, that as soon as the baby birds fly off.......we're blocking up the hole!

In our last house we had bats.

My neighbour said they may be rooks. I think they are black in colour but not crows!

They maybe starlets, In a house I used to live in we hade them and swallows every summer. the starlets sing alot and the swallows poo on the walls alot. after a short time i got used to it. I loved the idea that the same swallows returned every year.

it is true they will return every year. I had one at each end of the house. last year i closed up one hole as it was getting directly into the attic and sometimes they would get stuck and die inside. Just noticed this year a bird carrying food returning to the exact point where the nest was last year. over and over the bird would collect food, bring it to the closed hole and try and feed young that aren't there. the bird (he or she) eventually gives up when nothing receives the food, eats it and flies away. a few minutes later the bird returns and repeats the whole process.

Just reading this post and I have the same problem. Have a starlings nest, I think (brown/black colour with speckles) in a nook in my balcony and two swallows nests hidden beneath the overhang on my roof. They starlings crap all over the place and the swallows virtually attack me anytime I come close, even parking the car!! Is this normal behaviour? I can't even wash my windows and I have a leak in the roof I dare not fix for fear of falling of the ladder! :) Those swallows are so agile that it's very unsettling seeing them coming for you and veering off at the last minute. I don't want to move them on just yet but will board up the gaps as soon as they go. Can anyone tell me when that usually is and whether or not I'm cracking up and these birds really are killers!! :D

Yes, I have that problem. I have several swallows nesting on the rafters of an outhouse and each time I go near the place they come diving towards me and veer off at the last minute, at this stage I am too afraid to go near the place but my cat doesn't seem to mind them as he appears to spend a lot of time in there. Mind you I do like to sit and watch them bringing bits of string etc on their beaks, they are beautiful little birds.

all of theses birds are protected while breeding,some of these species are getting close to endangered,some species of sparrows may not exist in the next decade.
Is it worth contributing towards extinction for a little bit of inconvience,20 years ago these areas were probably fields and woods,the birds are putting up with us not the other way round.

it is true they will return every year. I had one at each end of the house. last year i closed up one hole as it was getting directly into the attic and sometimes they would get stuck and die inside. Just noticed this year a bird carrying food returning to the exact point where the nest was last year. over and over the bird would collect food, bring it to the closed hole and try and feed young that aren't there. the bird (he or she) eventually gives up when nothing receives the food, eats it and flies away. a few minutes later the bird returns and repeats the whole process.

How bad did you feel? ;), bet you unblocked the hole.

Can I jump in on this one too?

I have the same problem. Can't identify the birds cos I only noticed their presence today. Unfortunately their nesting spot is directly above my patio so their gonna mess the place while they're there. I going to leave them be until they leave themselves and then block up the hole. Anyone any idea how long that will be? Weeks/months?

My starlings upped sticks and flew away a few days ago. Although they made one hell of a mess on the walls and footpaths, now that they gone I really miss their singing and wake up call in the mornings. I was going to block up the eves but decided against it so now I look forward to their arrival again next spring:)

You'll just have to make do with one of the birdsong CDs :) I heard they were using these to teach abandoned chicks the Dawn Chorus!

I'd like the singing but not mess!

Back