Bill unpaid before house bought

DannyBoyD

I bought a house earlier this year. The previous owner was deceased. I don't have a mortgage.

When the sale was completed my Solicitor went through all the various documents with me and I signed them. I remember talking about the property tax and the septic tank registration etc.,

A short while ago a local person contacted me to say that the group water bill hadn't been paid for previous years. I don't think I should have to pay this from before I bought the house.

Is my solicitor responsible or the sellers solicitor?

I bought a house earlier this year. The previous owner was deceased. I don't have a mortgage.

When the sale was completed my Solicitor went through all the various documents with me and I signed them. I remember talking about the property tax and the septic tank registration etc.,

A short while ago a local person contacted me to say that the group water bill hadn't been paid for previous years. I don't think I should have to pay this from before I bought the house.

Is my solicitor responsible or the sellers solicitor?
Surely the estate of the deceased was and still is responsible. Contact your solicitor. The executor or their solicitor should have dealt with all outstanding bills.

I sold my house in rural ireland lastvyear, which was on a group scheme. Once it was near to closing, i contact the group scheme. They sent out a form that myself and purchaser signed to move account over to his name. They also said they would read the meter aroumd that time and send an invoice if any moneys due.
Years before when i purchased the house the account was never moved to my name. I foolishly never realised that I was building up a bill, til around 3 years later i got first letter. I met with one of the team and he agreed a payment plan. They actually overcharged me and I noticed DD were going out too long. A lot of these schemes are small operations run by locals.
Check with your own solicitor first if account was signed over. Get something in writing from group scheme as well.

Back