Bilbao

E

EvilDoctorK

Headign to Bilbao shortly - anyone got any recommendations for places to eat, things to do, general tips ?

No tips, but am insanely jealous of you as I have wanted to go to Bilbao for years but it has just never happened, even though I have been loads of other places in Spain (Valencia, Barcelona, Madrid, Granada, Ronda, Palma, Gerona, Cordoba, Malaga, El Puerto de Santa Maria, Cadiz, Jerez de la Frontera, Marbella...)

But never Bilbao :(

Oh, have just been talking to ex Mr Noor (as I remembered he had been there) - he says definitely go to the Guggenheim, and do a pub crawl down by the port. He says while it is nice, that you wouldn't really want to stay there for 4 days and that he thinks San Sebastian is nicer. Hope that's of some help

Thanks Noor - have heard that S.Sebastian is very nice but given the short (2 days) time frame I think will stick with Bilbao itself .. i'm sure there's enough to entertain us there for a few days anyway

BTW - where's El Puerto de Santa Maria ?

El Puerto de Santa Maria is in sherry country - it's down in the very south, on the Atlantic Coast. It was quite prosperous in the 17th and 18th centuries as a shipping port but is a bit faded these days - but still a lovely place

Enjoy BILBAO!

I reckon there's history in this thread - somewhere in the world that the EvilDoctor has not already been! ;)

There's a few blanks on the world map alright .. working on it though !

Does anyone know anywhere near to Bilbao airport to stay the night. I will be arriving there fairly late at night. I may or may not hire a car that night depending on whether I need it to get to somewhere to stay.

I guess you're going on the Aer Lingus flight which arrives @ around 9pm ... it's not that late .. it's Spain :)

The airport is I believe very close to the town - only about 3 miles ... it's a small airport so I doubt there's a hotel at the airport ... but even if there was I'm sure it would be better to head into town to stay rather than in an airport hotel.

Would it be better to put this thread in with the original Bilbao thread started by EvilDoc???

Noor77

Bilbao to SanSebastian

Does anyone know how far the airport in Bilbao is from San Sebastian. Is there a bus service or anything like that. Flying into Bilbao and staying in SS for a week.

Bilbao Airport is very close to Bilbao city centre - only a very few km north. It's a very nice modern airport designed by Calatrava - not too busy overall a good airport to pass through.

The airport is on a major road which leads onto the Bilbao-San Sebastian motoroway very directly... hiring a car and driving there might be the best plan - it's only 100km Motorway all the way .. so you'd drive it in an hour.

There's a Narrow Gauge Railway runnign between Bilbao and S.Sebastian (aka Donostia) - [broken link removed] ... it's a fairly leisurely 2 1/2 hr journey

Buses I don't know about ...

Don't skip Bilbao city altogether do at least go and see the Guggenheim Museum it's well worth a look.

Great thanks for that.
Another question i have is would anyone recommend another airport nearer SS to fly into as don't fancy heading off in a hire car after getting of the flight late to Bilbao in the evening.

San Sebastian has an airport, but it's just for Spanish and French local flights iirc. There are hotels near Bilbao airport, but to be honest it's a quick spin into the city, where you'll get a better hotel and a chance to see the sights.

I'd arrived in Bilbao on a delayed aer lingus flight, with only one flight left to arrive into the airport, and managed to taxi into the city, check into the hotel, and then grab a few tapas in the old quarter.

There's a regular bus service from Bilbao (get the tram that goes out of the city centre by the Guggenheim to it's terminus - that's the bus station) to San Sebastian, but when I got it, it didn't go via the airport (though it passes nearby).

The other decent sized airport nearby with international flights would be Biarritz in France ... it's a bit closer to SS than Bilbao ... but there are no direct flights from Ireland - Ryanair do go there from Stansted though ... but trekking via Stansted on Ryanair probably isn't worth it if there's reasonably priced Aer Lingus flights direct to Bilbao.

Back