Bike to Work scheme

Only if the bike is used "solely, exclusively and necessarily" for the purposes of the trade. Not a condition imposed in the back to work scheme available to that pampered group, the PAYE worker.

Only if the bike is used "solely, exclusively and necessarily" for the purposes of the trade. Not a condition imposed in the back to work scheme available to that pampered group, the PAYE worker.

Which explicitly rules out the self-employed person using the bike to commute to work.

You gotta love the civil service in this country.

The test is actually wholly and exclusively for the purpose of the trade.

The "necessarily in the performance of the duties" test applies to deductions for employees under section 114.

Therefore the test for a deduction for a trader is a much broader one. A sole trader will be able to take a deduction (without any restriction by reference to the cost of the bike as applies to the BTW scheme) proportionate to their business use of the bike.

Which explicitly rules out the self-employed person using the bike to commute to work.

You gotta love the civil service in this country.

Unless they are a home office based self-employed person, which a very substantial proportion of self-employed people are.

Unless you are a trick cyclist, I don't see how you could use a bicycle in the course of a trade.

Unless you are a trick cyclist, I don't see how you could use a bicycle in the course of a trade.

Of course you could, in lots of businesses that don't require lugging stuff around, cycling to/from meetings etc...

But I think you're missing my point. Plenty of city / town based self employed people have no problems claiming a sizeable proportion of all sorts of costs against their trade. I don't see why they wouldn't extend whatever logic they use to apportion other costs, to their bike... ;)

sorry to drag up an old thread, but can a director(and employee) of a small LTD company(two Directors) purchase a bike with the "bike to work" scheme?

I would think so, if they're an employee then they're PAYE presumably so shouldn't be a problem.

Back