BIK on Electric Company Car

Neilc78

So in my company I have a choice of getting a company car or alternatively I can have my own car and get paid a car allowance instead.

So with new electric cars being BIK exempt that's a real opportunity for me. However I was wondering if I purchased my own 2nd hand electric car and drew down the car allowance from the company, have I grounds for BIK exemption on that allowance?

Of course, your company could buy you a 2nd hand electric car, and the exemption would apply.

Absolutely 100% not.
Why not. The allowance is for me to buy my own car without being forced to take a brand new one from a lease hire with a big BIK bill. If I buy a 2nd hand electric car why should I not benefit from my decision in The same way I would if I got a new car instead of the allowance?

Sorry for jumping in how long does the BIK last for? I thought iwas just one year for EV cars

Thanks
RB

Sorry for jumping in how long does the BIK last for? I thought iwas just one year for EV cars

Thanks
RB
It was originally announced as 1 year in the budget, but got extended to 4 by the time it made it into finance act.

Why not. The allowance is for me to buy my own car without being forced to take a brand new one from a lease hire with a big BIK bill. If I buy a 2nd hand electric car why should I not benefit from my decision in The same way I would if I got a new car instead of the allowance?

BIK arises when an employer provides something that conveys a benefit but is not of direct monetary value.

A car allowance is just taxable cash which can be spent on a car or a bag of onions.

Back