Big Floating Shelves

3rdLevel

hey im looking for some floating shelves

ones that you can fit a standard dvd player and sky box on and not hanging off the edge , but fit nicely on the shelf

anybody any ideas where to get some ? any online stores ??

argos is a no , b&q is a no and atlantic homecare , woodies also

Homebase have some but I am not sure what size they are, and maybe look on ikea.com. Might be hard enough to get the width you want though.

I didn't reply to this because I've had the same problem - the ones in the traditional DIY places are too damn short. I'm thinking of getting ones made by my local DIY place - getting them custom made is always an option and it's not as if the ones in e.g. Woodies are cheap as chips...

Would second at least having a look-see at IKEA

Sprite

you can get large floating slelves in habitat not to cheap but good quality

Is Habitat not closed down? Anyway I have the LACK shelves from Ikea, they are great! Nice and long and deep, I have white ones and they look really well up!

B & Q, Argos, Homebase. I think these are all the same shelves, Argos and Homebase are the same company and seem to carry much the same stock.

Anyway, I have attempted to make large floating shelves 1.4m long and 32cm deep out of 26mm oak veneered MDF. [broken link removed] Using these [broken link removed] 3 per shelf, as support. Plus 7 or 8 inch masonry screws.

It is not work as the wall was dot and dabb plasterboard on block, and the shevles too heavy and thin. There was too much give in the plasterboard, which allowed the shelves to bounce too much. Even though the supports/ brackets could easly take the weight of a man. I ended up putting in additional supports, rather than spend time messing with injecting filler behind the plasterboard.

If you look at the shelves in the shops, they are small and filled with polysterne (sandwidge) to keep them very light. They are also very thick to give them support against the back of the wall, ie less bounce. If I was doing it again, I would build my shelves the in much same way. Using two thin sheets sandwidge between a thick sheet of polysterne, with internal wood to support the brackets etc.

Back