Big Brand v's 'the rest' LCD TVs

Most of the components that go into t.v's now come from the one place and are just shipped to the relevant companies for the fancy exterior assembly. There are a one or two i'ld steer clear of, but on the whole they are all the same. Watch out for Tesco offers they are pretty good.

If by 'one place' you mean the Far East, then maybe. There are quite a few manufacturers making LCD panels now, and there are significant differences in the quality of image these can display.
Leo

went for a philips 37",series 5. 779 in Dixons. best value of all the shops i looked around. they deliver this week....do they have to take away my old tv under the WEEE directives

do they have to take away my old tv under the WEEE directives
Yes they are obligied to remove your old T.V under weee regulations

Bought Philips series 5 37" last week. Nice tv. HD ready. Have normal sky+ box but picture not quite as sharp as I would have expected. Bit of fuzziness especially when watching sports. Would this be normal for lcd tv. Have not owned one before. Does not look as sharp as display in shop.

To the best of my knowledge, there are three very large manufacturers of LCD screens in China.

Samsung and Sony use the same factory, and while the prices are quiet different, the technology isn't apparently.

What you need from a new TV is *full HD* progressive at 100%, and a large screen, e.g. 42 inches.

A 32" full HD TV makes no sense as it's too small to show the detail, 42 at minimum.

A 32" full HD TV is like buying a C180 with the classic trim level "a merc by any means!" :)

Forgive a stupid question from someone trying to get up to speed on these issues; I read in other posts about the victory of Blu-Ray over HD (re DVDs), but does this have any bearing on "full HD" or "HD Ready" TV sets?

I have had many bad experiences of Beko TV's
My parents had a 21" with detachable side speakers and it packed up after 15mths
My cousin had a 14" portable in her bedroom and it was left on standby(I know you shouldnt do it but...), in the middle of the night the on/off button shot out of the tv along with sparks and landed on the bed causing a small fire, luckily it made a bang sound and she woke up!!:(
My uncle had one and after about 2 years it just packed up and smoke bellowed from the back of it.:mad:

No more Beko's in our family for sure - those experiences were about 7-8years ago, may have improved but too many bad experiences to chance them again.

I believe the make good fridges but no experience of them:rolleyes:

Forgive a stupid question from someone trying to get up to speed on these issues; I read in other posts about the victory of Blu-Ray over HD (re DVDs), but does this have any bearing on "full HD" or "HD Ready" TV sets?

none

Back