Big bag of coins

krissovo

I have a big bag of coins, I mean its huge! Its from day 1 of the euro and full of coins from €1 down to 1c.

My question is how do I cash these in? I went to my bank and they gave me small money bags and rolls so I stated doing that and after a couple of nights I got to €300 without putting a dent in the pile of coins. Is there anywhere in Cork I can pour them into a machine and get the notes back?

There are machines in Supervalus (and Spars I think), where you can pour the money in and it spits out a receipt which you receive cash at the till for - but they charge anywhere from 8% to 10% - which is not a lot to pay for convenience if its only 100 euro youre talking about but IMO starts seeming unreasonable when you go up to higher amounts.

but they charge anywhere from 8% to 10%

Much cheaper to get a couple of kids around to help....I remember doing this for my parents as they rented houses and they all had meters....every few months, there was a table full of coins. I'm sure some kids would be thrilled to get a few euro to sort out your (nice) problem.

I think you are missing the point. Bagging the coin costs nothing but the bank will charge you for cashing them. When bagged try other institutions who may exchange the coin for free. Your local credit union is worth a try.

I think you are missing the point. Bagging the coin costs nothing but the bank will charge you for cashing them.
Not necessarily. I have a current account with PTSB and they have never charged me for lodging bagged coins.

I'm not sure the banks will charge you if they're bagged correctly, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't if you had an account with them. Also, your local publican would gladly take the change off you even on a weekly basis. Easiest thing to do imho for counting them all up, is to separate all the coin first into each denomination and do one denomination a night. As stated earlier, get the local kids around to do the lower denominations. Be aware that the counting machines will need you to seperate the denominations anyway.

This has been discussed before in other threads and it has been established that banks do not charge for personal customers lodging coins to their personal accounts, ie, when there is no business connection. It may help to go to the branch where you have an account, however.

Baged your coins and then use it to pay in any shop for goods. My local post office has a notice up that they will accept baged coins in payment for anything ie stamps , tv licence, dog licence etc.

I do the same with my change. Last time I got the bags from the bank and bagged the coins myself, different ones each night. Once they were bagged I had no problem using them in supermarkets and even my local Shell garage for petrol who took the bags without even checking them. I refuse the pay the 12.5% charged at my local coin depot machine. I had saved €475 in loose change - everything from 50c down in the space of 1 year!

If Cork City - ask your local priest - alot of the larger parishes have coin sorting / bagging machines to manage the coins from the collections - maybe if you offer a donation they might let you use the machines.

I used to bag my own and then lodge them to my credit union account, however now they refuse to take coins (bagged or otherwise).

How can they refuse to take coins?? Aren't they legal tender?

I asked and was told (in a rather annoyed voice) that they have no way of getting rid of them?
I dont know what else I can say to them, Im not trying to buy anything, Im only trying to lodge money.

There are quantities above which institutions (and retailers I think) can refuse e.g. if you arrive in with €100 in 2 cent pieces. I think I've seen the amounts & combinations on AAM before?

I asked and was told (in a rather annoyed voice) that they have no way of getting rid of them?
I dont know what else I can say to them, Im not trying to buy anything, Im only trying to lodge money.

They probably don't issue much cash or if they do it probably doesn't require much change?

They probably don't issue much cash or if they do it probably doesn't require much change?

Yes probably right, but surely they lodge money themselves to a bigger institution and if so why not just lodge the coins?
Where do credit unions keep the actual physical money?

Much better to get a few people to help sort and bag the coins. I would put the 2, 1, and 50c and the 20 and 10 cent coins into bags. The smaller coins 1,2 and 5 cent I would just put them through the coin machine as the 1cent in particular are a pain to count they are so small.

Some Credit Unions do take coin but I brought coins in before and they were properly bagged and they would only take 20euro worth of coin. It seems to be a bit of hassle for credit unions when they are lodging to the bank to have a lot of coin.

It costs 9.5% to put the coins through the machines that you see in the likes of supervalu.

Another way to get rid of the coins is to use the express checkouts in tesco.

I think they brought in a limit of 50 (or was it 100) coins as legal tender, after people started paying their ESB bills in pennies in protest at something or other years ago.

Some great ideas, the counting machines at 10% or so is a bit much as there is at least €500.

Looks like a counting money party tomorrow night, a few drinks and pizza with friends should get through the pile.

I usually split change into 3 when I empty my pockets after getting home from work etc, as follows:

50c, €1 and €2
10c, 20c
others

I use the first 2 to pay for lunch or for papers, bread, milk, DVD rental etc then when I have a big bag of 1c, 2c, 5c bring it to Super Valu to convert.

Back