BIG 4 firm trying to get out of payrises

ihatemyjob

Currently working in BIG 4 firm. Contract is up for a lot of people on the 31st october. As the firm since joined with the UK (u ll all know which one now) the company has changed review for payrises from 1st august to the 1st October - however for this year they are backdating payrises to August. We have been told if we hand in our notice before the 1st october we will not get an increase and obv not get the backpay even though we will still be working here o the 31st oct??? and per the policy all employees from 1st oct will get increase and back pay.

Surely this is discrimmination?? Also per our contracts there is no detail about giving notice of termination - contract just runs out?? Therefore to get around this are we breaking any law by simply giving the minimum 1 week notice period or giving none at all???

Thanks for any info anyone can provide - this is worth a substanial amount of money to all employees involved and is just another kick in the teeth from a horrible org to work for.

if u read the post properly you would realise I am leaving at the end of October but they are trying not to pay me the salary increase I am due from the 1st August.

Also per our contracts there is no detail about giving notice of termination - contract just runs out??

You signed a fixed term contract to work for the company until October. Yes, when the contract runs out, you are out of a job - you do not need to give notice etc. as the date of termination has already been determined in your contract. Notice periods would only apply if you were seeking to leave the job before completing the contract (thus breaking the contract).

Therefore to get around this are we breaking any law by simply giving the minimum 1 week notice period or giving none at all???

You dont need to give notice if you have simply decided to leave when the contract expires.

As for the payrises, you need to check whether or not YOUR contract has anything in it about pay reviews and pay rises.

Is it in your contract that they will give you a payrise on August 1st or is that at the discretion of the employer?

unless your contract states you are actually entitled to a year on year increase (as opposed to a 'review') there is no issue here as the increase is entirely at the employers discretion, and they have decided not to give it.

thanks for the replies - i have decided i will say nothing and just tell them the week before my contract is up that I will not be coming back! no breach of what my contract says and the payrise will have gone through at that point

thanks for the replies - i have decided i will say nothing and just tell them the week before my contract is up that I will not be coming back! no breach of what my contract says and the payrise will have gone through at that point

Remember that you will probably need a reference from the firm at some point in the future, it may not be too favourable if you do this. The accounting world in Ireland is a small one and a bad reputation can spread easily.

i am aware that i will need a reference and therefore we are going to try to talk to management first about this but they can also not give a bad reference as a result as we are not doing anything wrong!

Remember that you will probably need a reference from the firm at some point in the future, it may not be too favourable if you do this. The accounting world in Ireland is a small one and a bad reputation can spread easily.

Good point. Look further down the line. If you are going for a job and they get a bad or no reference from your firm that'll scupper your chances. Might be worth your while taking the pain now. I'm sure after tax its relatively small money. I know you could do with it - but you can also live without it.

As a former employee of a Big 4 firm, I heard through the grapevine that bonuses have been slashed this year and accordingly all payrises.

Chances are your pay rise will be minimal.

Good luck with the new job.

You should also never burn bridges behind you because further down the line you just never know when it might suit you not to have done so.

Back