Bifolds or sliding doors

garythegreat

I'm getting an extension done and we cant decide on bi-folds or sliding doors. I think the bifolds are too expensive - the quote we have is for €8.5k for 4000mmx2600mm which is a lot. Sliding doors seem to be around €5k for the same size.

Our garden is overlooked at the back and my partner prefers the way the bi-folds have more frames as it makes it a little more private. I've suggested we get sliders that open in the middle and a pane of glass either side, so there will be the same number of frames. Has anyone done something like this or has any other suggestions?

Also has anyone any recommendations on where they got their bi-folds so I can check them out?

We recently built and went for sliding as you described with a pane either side. I just couldn't see myself needing/wanting to fully open the bi-fold doors that often so I didn't feel it was worth the extra. Do you think you would use them a lot?

Bifolds all the way.

Very handy if you’re having a furniture delivery, especially something like a mattress.

Sliders are very easy for burglars to break in.

Also, when I was looking for landlord insurance last month this was one of those checklist questions: “at least two smoke detectors”, no sliding doors”, “no flat roof”, etc.

Bifolds all the way.

Very handy if you’re having a furniture delivery, especially something like a mattress.

Sliders are very easy for burglars to break in.

Also, when I was looking for landlord insurance last month this was one of those checklist questions: “at least two smoke detectors”, no sliding doors”, “no flat roof”, etc.

never heard of any of the above before.
it’s not stated in any of my or my families insurance policies.
all depends on the width of the opening OP, and personal preference. There’s no technical differences between the 2, assuming both of equal quality.

Back