Between Florence and Amalfi

Wonderfish

Hi All

Looking for suggestion, have the following booked for later this month:

Rome 4 nights
Florence 3 nights

3 nights free

Amalfi - 7 nights

Just looking for any suggestions for places to stay, not fussed on whether its coastal or inland (probably prefer coastal) between florence and amalfi, have the 3 nights to play with and ideally we would like just one location somewhere between to keep the travel down.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated

Cheers

I really liked Orvieto, it is about an hour north of Rome and is a beautiful old hill town. We stayed outside it in a vineyard which was lovely but very quite.

Last edited:
Siena is beautiful! I loved it....alternatively you could nip up to Tuscany and recline by a pool overlooking the Tuscan hills....we stayed here, it was amazing and its about an hours drive from Florence: [broken link removed]

If you love good food and total relaxation you'll love it. If you like a little more bustle and hustle and a lot of history (as in city centre being a Unesco world heritage site) you'll like Siena. The Palio is on August 16 and worth checking out, but when its not on its even better as you can eat outside in the Piazza Del Campo watching the sun go down.

Will you be driving? That will make a difference to your options.

Would agree with both Siena and Orvieto. They're both beautiful. Would also agree that some of the mountain towns are worth visiting. There a nice town called San Quirico D'Orcia that has a couple of good hotels and nice restaurants. Beautiful scenery. From there, it's an easy drive to San Gimignano, Pienza and Montepulciano.

Volterra is also a beatuiful old town worth a visit.

I would highly recommend Sorrento. I was there a few weeks ago and it's amazing. There's a great 'delux hostel' on hostelworld called Ulisse Deluxe
which is more like a 4 star hotel than hostel, I'd highly recommend it and it's very reasonable in comparison to some places I've stayed in Italy. Enjoy!

Thanks alot everyone for all the replies

Will definitely check out both Sienna and Orvieto, these sound great, anyone care to suggest a nice hotel/b&b in either

Also Joanneh thanks for your recommendation I checked it and its beautiful but as we are not going to be hiring a car I think its location rules it out for us, we are hoping to use the train network for all travel.

If anyone has anything more to add please feel free

Cheers

mro
I really liked Orvieto, it is about an hour north of Rome and is a beautiful old hill town. We stayed outside it in a vineyard which was lovely but very quite.

mro would you have a link to this vineyard sounds good

Hi Wonderfish

Here is the link http://www.laroccaorvieto.com/index_eng.html

It is a bit out of town so if you don't have a car i'm not sure how it would work we did.

There do great Agritourism around that area (Umbria). The Agritourism idea is that working farms offer accomodation (can be basic upto very plush). The farm has to be a working farm which produces stuff, it can be a vineyard or a or a farm attached to a fancy hotel or even just someone that grows olives and produces olive oil so it varies. They usually server food as well, which is often produced on the farm or at least locally. I stayed in a few and really liked the idea.

I used the following website [broken link removed]
as well as tripadvisor as most of them would be on it.

mro

If you're travelling by train, you're pretty much limited to the bigger towns. A trip to a vineyard might be difficult unless there's an organised day trip from one of the towns you stay in.

The following interactive rail map of Italy might give you an indication of where might be accessible within your timeframe.

http://www.viaggiatreno.it/viaggiatreno/

Mrs JT & I stayed at this wonderful b&b in Orvieto last year. What a fantastic place. The accomodation is beautiful, Selita is a fantastic host and you just walk through their olive grove to get to the town.

[broken link removed]

Back