Best weedkiller.

Ash 22

What is the best weedkiller for grass, weeds, dandelions, daisies etc,
Also for places that you weed by hand is there any particular spray that will keep these weeds at bay. I found simazine very good but I've been told it's gone off the market.

I got a product called Rambo at the weekend, exact same ingredients as round up but it was 16 euro cheaper than round up, for the exact same size. It's a concentrate so you dilute it in your watering can. I'll let you know how I get on with it but don't see any reason why it won't do what round up does.

Round up is very good for killing what it lands on and I've been using it for years on paving and under hedging and to completely clear an area before sowing new plants. Don't know what you would use though to stop weed germination .

I got a product called Rambo at the weekend, exact same ingredients as round up but it was 16 euro cheaper than round up, for the exact same size. It's a concentrate so you dilute it in your watering can. I'll let you know how I get on with it but don't see any reason why it won't do what round up does.

Round up is a bit pricey alright so I'd be interested to hear how you get on with the Rambo stuff.

Round up is a bit pricey alright so I'd be interested to hear how you get on with the Rambo stuff.

Roundup Pro Biactive is far better than the Rambo product, I tried Rambo last year and the weeds came back very quickly again. One litre of RoundUp cost about 25 euro, I think it comes in half litre bottles.

Do you reckon then Petermack simazine is still available. Also heard something about gallup. Any idea how good that is.

Hi ya ,
I used Gallop last year and i found it to do the same job as Round up. It's far cheaper aswell.
Pablo

Roundup is a systemic herbicide, it kills growing weeds but wont stop new ones germinating.
Simazine inhibits germination but will not kill growing weeds.

Hence a combination of the two should do a good job. Thats the theory anyway.

One litre of RoundUp cost about 25 euro, I think it comes in half litre bottles.
? Where did you buy it? I've just paid 86 euro for a litre of roundup in Atlantic in Tullamore (up from 54 euro three years ago).

? Where did you buy it? I've just paid 86 euro for a litre of roundup in Atlantic in Tullamore (up from 54 euro three years ago).

I paid 59.95 for 5 litres in local hardware shop in Co Kilkenny. Think one litre was about Euro30 and as we needed more went for the 5 litres.

we sprayed something on weeds on our cobblelock a few weeks back and while it did kill the weeds it also left a seemingly permanent white mark on the stones in the shape of the weeds it was sprayed on IYKWIM. I'll check the name of it when I get a chance but just to warn you!

I paid 59.95 for 5 litres in local hardware shop in Co Kilkenny. Think one litre was about Euro30 and as we needed more went for the 5 litres.
Well, that makes it worth the drive from Tullamore. Can you PM me the name of the shop if you don't want to post it? Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, that makes it worth the drive from Tullamore. Can you PM me the name of the shop if you don't want to post it? Thanks!

You could probably get it locally for a similar price, the likes of Atlantic and Woodies don't tend to be the cheapest options, and can be quite expensive for some items they stock. Try local DIY/hardware shops, garden centres, etc.
Leo

You could probably get it locally for a similar price, the likes of Atlantic and Woodies don't tend to be the cheapest options, and can be quite expensive for some items they stock. Try local DIY/hardware shops, garden centres, etc.
Leo

your local Glanbia should have it. the Glanbia in Mountmellick (Laois) stock it, only a short drive from Tullamore. as far as i know there are a few Glanbias around Tullamore area too so no need to drive to Kilkenny. worst case drive either to Mountmellick or Portarlington (both Laois).

I paid €59 for 5 litres today in a local Gardening/Hardware store. Also available in 1 litre for €25

Instead of simazine use Weed all..its a powder that should be applied to damp soil before weeds come up..last for six months..Commerical name is Casron G.

Round up will kill what is there.

You will need a stronger selective weedkiller for your lawn weeds..try your local garden centre for this .

I bought it in a hardware shop in Co Clare and the 5 litre bottle cost 45 Euro, you paid nearly four times that much, its outrageous and it definately pays to shop around. I tried Homebase and 4Homes and they were more expensive but not as expensive as what you paid.

Back