Best way to search for houses for sale?

Fred Flinstone

I find myself always referring to the 2 main property websites as they are so useful... but am I missing out on a wider market? Are all estate agents on these sites? Are there any other avenues I should be looking at?

Are there any other avenues I should be looking at?

You could let the Estate Agents who are prominent in the area you are interested in know what you are looking for and where.

I think this has come up here before with some saying that Estate Agents are regularly asked by the seller to sell their home discretely, these homes would not then have for sale signs or appear on any websites.

The agent would then notify buyers who had registered with them and were looking for such a property.

I would reckon the majority if not all on these two websites. What I have done recently is set up a property alert on myhome.ie for a particular area I have an interest in, I get regular email alerts foe properties that come onto the market instantly with web links. I also get alerts and an indicator if the price rise or lowers since it was last flagged. Saves the hassle of constantly checking websites of auctioneers.

If you know where you want to buy (checklist stuff), I'd just drive/walk around the area and see what's for sale. Some people just put a sign in the front garden. At the moment there's lots of Nama type sales so maybe keep a watch on Auction sites.

You could let the Estate Agents who are prominent in the area you are interested in know what you are looking for and where.

Really important to do this - i've been looking for an elderly relative recently who is looking to downsize and both of the prominent EAs have been able to show me properties that are not visibly advertised either online or with signs outside the properties.

Our search is very specific in terms of area and requirements due to mobility issues and I was very surprised when I dropped into the first EA - it was not just one property but several that they had no intention of advertising as they had a list of people on their books that they knew would have significant interest and believed they could generate a quick sale at the right price from these alone without involving the wider market.

Admittedly given the narrow search I agree with them and each have been sold quickly in that manner from I can see

Back