Best way to quit Jackie Skelly Gym? - dont want debt collectors hounding me.

tink

Hi I am a member of above gym and want to quit.

I read an awful thread from a couple of years ago on here and was wondering what the best tack is to use to quit.

I was going to write to my gym address but have seen that they ignore these letters, some people wrote to the registered address etc.

I never signed a contract with JS it was done by phone but I received a slip of paper saying I had to give 2 months notice to quit.

Does anyone have advice or experience on best way to quit?

I don't want debt collectors hounding me either!

Re: Quitting Jackie Skelly

I received a slip of paper saying I had to give 2 months notice to quit. Does anyone have advice or experience on best way to quit?
What's about a registered letter stating you'll quit in 2 months ?

Agree with above, registered letter giving 2 months notice is the way to go!

Great that way they can't get out of it !!!

Also send them an e-mail confirming that you want to give notice to end your contract and that you are also forwarding them a registered letter to that effect. Keep a copy of the email.

When I ended my membership, i wrote a letter with the date stating I was giving 2 months notice and delivered it by hand to the manager of the gym.I then got him to sign a reciept (which I had typed up) to say that he had recieved the notification with the date on it.
Then theres no worry of emails being ignored or letters going missing.

Hi guys, well I sent off my registered letter (01st july) and got a phone call tonight saying that I have a year on my contract ?! She only got my voicemail but I am SO annoyed by this, no where did I ever sign anything or say I was joining for year and I was fine with the two months notice and they are still going to pursue it? What shall I do now?!

Agree with Pique, just write a letter to your bank branch informing them to cancel the direct debit to Jackie Skelly's.

Agree - cancel direct debit with bank. Did this myself with another gym few years back. Gave written notice I was quitting and then cancelled direct debit with bank. Of course they said they never received notification in time about quitting, sent a few snotty letters looking for a months fee but just ignored them !

Thanks guys have done that already so am going to ignore voicemail and just let them at it !

hi guys, me again! Jackie Skelly have written to me and said they are going to take the outstanding payments from my laser cards of which details they have on file (the girl said this was just incase they had trouble with my deposit -ha!) Have checked with NCA and Data Protection and they are covered in the T & C's for this. My dilemna now is will I let them take the money or will I cancel my card and get another one reissued? am at my wit's end with this !

How much do u owe them by the way?

If they are legally allowed take money from your laser card then they obviously will.

In which case you need to cancel ASAP before they get at it.
(Alternatively temporarily transfer all funds out of it to buy yourself some time).

This whole thing by gyms of requiring months notice is one of the greatest scams of our time.

There is no logic whatsoever behind it as far as i can see.

Call down to the gym and ask for the manager to come out to you. Make sure you speak very clearly & loudly :D and explain:
- you did not sign a contract (they should have one there if they say otherwise)
- They have completely ignored all the letters & emails you have forwarded to them (hope you have copies)
- Obviously point out what is any issues you have had with them (judging from other posts over the years, these generally include hygiene, staff, classes etc).
- you don't welcome them taking alternative card numbers as a "just in case" (I would have thought they would have had to make this very clear at the time & you would have had to sign some to authorise them to do so.
- any other problems you've had

Ideally call at the busiest time of the day...normally about 7 or so....and don't forget to SPEAK clearly (they may have a hearing impediment).

From all the issues I've heard of for this particular gym, I'm amazed they have any members!!

The real question is why are all these people giving these companys their bank details,signing up for direct debits etc. in the first place. Cash or cheque end of.

Well I won't be making that mistake again ! Have cancelled my card. I too am amazed at how they are let get away with this. As far as I am concerned I held up my side of the contract by giving two months notice! My friend said she gave notice at 10 months into her year contract and they said she had to pay the 12 months and then give two months notice meaning even though it was a 12 month contract she paid 14 months ?! Unbelievable.

I am leaving the country so will no longer be able to use my gym for obvious reasons. Spoke to someone today who said that the 60 day notice is not valid because I haven't completed the first 12 months of my contract. I have to pay the balance for the rest of the year, but they were willing to "do me a deal" and give me 40% off my balance remaining.

I tried to cancel my direct debit with my bank (AIB), just incase, since I have heard bad things about Jackie Skelly's track record, and they said they couldn't cancel direct debits to Jackie Skelly without written instruction from the gym....I thought it was MY account?!?

I tried to cancel my direct debit with my bank (AIB), just incase, since I have heard bad things about Jackie Skelly's track record, and they said they couldn't cancel direct debits to Jackie Skelly without written instruction from the gym....I thought it was MY account?!?

Send a registered letter to JS informing them that you are cancelling you direct debit agreement with them and instructing them not to take any money from your account from a specific date. Copy the letter to your bank. If money is taken after the date, report the bank to the finanical regulator and consider reporting the "theft" to the Gardai.

It seems that the OP has a 1 year contract with the gym, so the gym is well within their rights to seek payment for that term. The 2 month notice period is surely not a substitute for the 1 month term.

I think it is important to stick to the terms of the contract, as with all contracts. If you want to quit, ask nicely and be aware they are doing you a favour.

I am not a affiliated with any gym. But I do pay my annual gym fee in one go so there is no DD in place and I have the option to renew only if I want to do so. That way there are no misunderstandings.

Back