Best way to get to L.A

onway

Waht is the best route to take to L.A now that there are no direct flights?? Was thinking about going via Heathrow but have heard so many bad stories about it.......

Aer Lingus do LA thru Chicago O'Hare (United used for LAX leg) and the waiting times between the flights are very reasonable ( can be as little as 1.5 hours) Its also very easy to transfer terminals at ORD, and u can book your bags straight thru. This looks a good option to avoid LHR. Its great to end up in DUB after along flight, rather than hanging around Heathrow, just wanting to get home.

There are also Delta (via Atlanta or JFK), Continental (via Newark), US Airways (via Philadelphia) and American Airlines (via Chicago). Of course there are several options by the main European airlines as well but that means you have to travel 1-2 hours the wrong direction first.

It all depends what would suit you better. I have gone to the West Coast USA in both ways in the past (to LAX via Heathrow & Las Vegas via JFK) and to be honest I got there quicker by the Heathrow route; the problem is that you have to allow plenty of time in the connecting airport in the USA as you have to clear customs at the first airport not at your final destination. Yes I know that if you fly to USA directly from Dublin, you (in most cases) clear immigration before boarding the plane but you really have to allow a good 90 minutes after your clear checkin/security as the queues can be enormous.

Also, it depends if you would prefer two 6-7 hour flights or one short flight followed by a 11 hour flight. Personally I would rather to have one real long flight but as I have done a lot of flights over 10 hours, it is easy for me to say that. If you are not accustomed to such long flights you may be better breaking it up. Also worth noting that you will get food/drinks the whole way across the Atlantic with an European airline but with any internal USA flights you will have to pay for it; also you are more likely to have the small seatback tv screens on the European airlines (makes a helluva difference on a long flight)

Ultimately, it will probably come down to price, as LAX is serviced by so many airlines, you could get a return flight for as little as €450.

Waht is the best route to take to L.A now that there are no direct flights?? Was thinking about going via Heathrow but have heard so many bad stories about it.......

I wouldn't dish Heathrow too much; I would much prefer to be connecting through there than JFK or Chicago. Though having said that Amsterdam is a far better airport to connect through than Heathrow (though with what happened last week, it could be a lot crazier connecting through there now).

We have friends on the West Coast and always fly Delta through Atlanta. That way you can still clear US immigration in Ireland, not an option anywhere else in Europe, and connect through an airport that's designed for connecting flights. I would leave 2 hours between flights in Atlanta as you do have to collect your bags and bring them through customs before dropping them onto a luggage belt but it also gives you a chance to stretch your legs and get something to eat.

Continental are very good transatlantic through Newark and at the moment there are sales with British Airways and Virgin through heathrow. check out www.travelpaths.ie for good rates

LA via Heathrow is fine. Heathrow isn't the nicest of airports, but at least you go direct from there. I'd prefer to have one short hop and then direct where you can switch off/sleep until you get to LA, than 2 medium length flights.

Air NewZealand are good to fly direct from Heathrow to LA with and often have good deals online.

I go to San Francisco and much prefer the Heathrow route. Went last November with Aer Lingus to Heathrow and then United to SF and it was fine. Cost 432 which is excellent. Best carriers are Virgin Atlantic and BA but they are a bit more expensive. I would avoid American Airlines. The previous time I traveled through Philadelphia with AA and it was a nightmare.

Most seasoned travellers advise avoiding Heathrow like the plague for a variety of reasons.

Travelling from Ireland to the east coast and then changing has the great advantage of doing immigration before you go - cuts out the risk of delays or problems on arrival in the US.

If you prefer the short hop to somewhere close by and then long flight direct to LA, try other Airports like Amsterdam or Brussels or even another UK airport other than Heathrow (do Manchester or Birmingham have LA flights?)

I would leave 2 hours between flights in Atlanta as you do have to collect your bags and bring them through customs before dropping them onto a luggage belt .

Not necessary if you fly from Shannon with any of the US airlines. You can check through your luggage at Shannon. Makes it much better on landing as you can go directly from your plane to the next departure without all the hassle of picking up your bags and rechecking them.
Note - Aer Lingus do not use this service

I use Heathrow all the time for London and onwards and rarely have any issues bar the odd delay getting the EI back to Ireland! US internal flights are usually very good aswell but with the new security proceedures in place in the US I think i'd rather use UK or European hub to do the change and not have to change in the US.

Not necessary if you fly from Shannon with any of the US airlines. You can check through your luggage at Shannon. Makes it much better on landing as you can go directly from your plane to the next departure without all the hassle of picking up your bags and rechecking them.
Note - Aer Lingus do not use this service

Delta are dropping the Shannon route (if they haven't already) so this advice stands for Atlanta.

Back