Best way to approach this?

marfsmal

Hey everyone. I was on here a year ago when I sought advice on how to handle my finances and well I am back again and would really appreciate any advice.

Monthly outgoings:

170 credit card aib
250 credit union car loan (2.5k outstanding; 1k savings)
130 Halifax loan
50 F.Active Credit card
Rent: c.160
No bills (inclusive in rent)
20 pm Vodafone modem (need internet for work)
Petrol: 80
Total: 860

Income:

188x4: 752
(Work: self employed in part time role which is not coming up with many hours so I get the dole equivalent:188 per week)

The context for why I am here is that I am 2 years into my 3 year study/career plan and the study has been full time so I haven't been able to work full-time during this period.

Finances wise, things have got rather messy for me. It's down to being stuck with old celtic tiger times debt and a car that I bought last year (when my old one broke down )to mainly keep my father happy (he is ill and the fact that I have a half decent car is important to him.. sad but true, cars don't matter to me and a 1k car would have been just as good to me but it would have bothered him).

So I got a credit union loan of 5k last January to buy a car and I got a car for 4k and used the other money to pay for insurance and tax, service, etc. I intend to keep the car for as many years as I can and so it was a long term investment. I have 2.5k left to pay off this but have 1k in savings with credit union also.

The main problems now are my part time work situation and credit cards. I have an old aib credit card debt of 5k, a Halifax loan (formerly credit card changed to personal loan last july) of 3k and a new First active cc debt of 2k. I incurred this 2k over the past 2 years of my study to meet basic expenses and have kept the other payments at bay, but the only one I have made any headway with is the credit union car loan.

My income has been minimal in the past 2 years due to my study and career change and I've been studying so much full time that I've only held 2 short term work contracts in this time. A few months ago I got a part time job related to my new field but the hours are not what they promised they would be, and it is self-employed, so I'm living on the equivalent of the dole- 188 per week as my part time earnings so far have not even nearly exceeded this.

Rent wise I have partially moved home. Without upsetting my father and hiding this from him I stay 3 nights at home, the rest of the week I stay in a hostel. So that way I have no esb bills and rent is about 40 per week. This obviously is causing me serious stress and worry and now that the part time job is not coming up with the hours they promised I find myself in a situation I thought I was barely going to survive.

I hardly buy anything other than pay my loans/bills and am extremely thrifty when it comes to all else.

Please help, what can I do?

I'm applying for other jobs now as the part time job is such a shambles hours wise, but there seems so little out there.

I don't think anyone would look at me for a consolidation loan, this would be a dream come true.

Back