Best way to access email on the go

tinggg

Hi

My dad's a taxi driver. He gets bookings via email and he needs a way to access his yahoo mail while out and about in the car - he uses a laptop at home and has 3 broadband, he doesn't want to have to bring his laptop into the car to check his email.

We're trying to figure out the cheapest way to allow him to access his email on the go.

Can anyone recommend a good option. Is it possible to plug his 3 broadband modem into a mobile device for example so that he could use that on the road as well as at home? Is so what kind of mobile device would be suitable.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank
T

What make and model of mobile phone has your Dad got, He should be able to configer his mobile to retrieve his emails just depending on his phone and if his yahoo account will let him!!

A lot of modern mobile phones have a POP/IMAP mail client installed. If he has POP/IMAP access to his Yahoo account or moves the destination of the e-mails to an account that has POP/IMAP access, he could use a phone to read them.

[Post crossed]

hi

Thanks for your replies.

We were concerned about the cost of using his phone for reading email (he has a vodafone plan) and thought if we could find a way that we could use his 3 broadband modem on a mobile device we would be maximising the money he spends on that.

Also his eyesight isn't fantastic so getting his email via his phone probably wouldn't work too well for him, he has a very old nokia. We would either have to buy a phone with a bigger screen or a pda...would they be our choices? Can anyone recommend an option that doesn't break the bank.

thanks again

Usen your mobile to download your emails to your phone wont cost that much .. Some of the New Nokia's will read your mail out to you .But it can get a bit confuseing sometimes.Theres not much you can plug your 3 Modem into as its USB, so only thing would be a laptop! Sorry can't think of anything else unless so one else can suggest.

I don't know if this will help but I have a mail account with vodafone (free just like gmail or any other) and I get a text on my phone everytime I get a new mail so its handy that you don't have to keep checking - you know when you get a new mail. Might be handy for your dad so he gets an alert when a new job comes in.

As for actually checking the mail when you are out. I think you can check your mail most of the newer mobile phones but as you said if your dads eyesight isn't great then maybe that wouldn;t be good. Go in and have a chat with someone in the Vodafone stores maybe and see if they can suggest something?

i think maybe switching his current phone to a VF blackberry may be an option. this way you have a monthly fee and know you get your emails sent more or less right away. the screens tend to be bigger on the bb.

more info here
http://www.vodafone.ie/mobileoffice/email/blackberry/internet/

also some phones now have wireless internet access. ie nokia e51. if you have eircom bb at home you can use their hotspots for free which would be the likes of where their call boxes are. (libraries have free access as well) may be a way of getting mails on a more intermitting basis.

Thanks a million for all your suggestions and advice, you've given me a number of things to look in to.

Many thanks again for your help :)

if you're worried about cost - vodafone have an €9.99 add-on which gives you a monthly download limt of 500MB, which is loads for using on phones. Only catch is that it appears to be only available to pay monthly customers.

http://www.vodafone.ie/planscosts/paymonthly/addons/

O2 have something similar but way more expensive plan in relation to download limit. €9.99 for 10MB or €19.99 for 25MB. There price plan is a bit archaic and they should be embarrassed offerfing it.

I've no doubt Meteor and Three offer something similar

I think I would just with a large screen phone. If hes concerned about cost why is he on vodafone to start with? He could get a 3 Phone just for emails/data.

Another option would be Eee laptop. But I don't think any form of laptop is a good idea in a taxi. I think a laptop would raise his risk to being robbed no?

What about an I-phone - big screen?

But I think the option of the text alert one descibed above would be best?

Back