Best way of paying for car in the UK

Yes indeed Rainyday, thats why I would always insist on meeting the seller (if its a private sale) at his/her home address not some airport car park, or petrol station. Always ask to view any documentation inside the house (to make sure that it is their house in the first place) and cross reference with any documentation with the sellers address on it. Does indeed pay to be suspicious but a little "cop on" goes a long way.

It's well dodgy to give anyone details of your bank account imho. You'd be wide open to abuse/theft. Carry cash. It's better, and immediate. A bit of danger but cash is king. Waive some under a sellers nose and you'll always get a better deal.

HPI is essential.

Some free info. available on www.rac.co.uk .
You need to register and go into "My RAC".

Indeed.

A lot of scamming occurs in car sales circles, especially when a vehicle appears on ebay.

The usual suspects.

RS2K said:
On the scamming or the suspects?

Both! :D I'm just not sure what you mean by either.. I've just made a car purchase over ebay and am wondering if there's something I should be looking out for.

Hi Thumper - great posting, thanks for the guideance.

Could I just ask in relation to the HPI check - how exactly do you get this done? Sounds like an excellent investment of 60 or so €.

Roy

onekeano said:
Hi Thumper - great posting, thanks for the guideance.

Could I just ask in relation to the HPI check - how exactly do you get this done? Sounds like an excellent investment of 60 or so €.

Roy

www.hpicheck.com

They need the reg. and chassis no's.

Hi Onekeano!

Just the reg number will suffice initially. However of you go the internet route you can go back onto the website and keep putting in more details as you get them ie Vin number, MOT certs, V5 cert etc for up to 10 days from the initial search at no extra cost. When I went over all I checked was the V5 cert and reg number and decided it was ok to travel over. Subsequently met the seller and took all other info such as above and went onto the internet over there and confirmed everything once more. Worth noting that HPI will sent you out a printed copy of the report which is very professional and detailed and so when I returned had 3 copies of a HpI report each one more detailed than the last. Well worth the 60 euro.

Also would get the car professionally checked out by a respected garage out their if you are buying privately e.g ibefore yoy buy a Saab go to a Saab garage and pay for a pre-purchase inspection. Also some garages will give you the option of buying a warranty for a year after the inspection for that added piece of mind. So you get the best of both worlds a cheaper private sale and the piece of mind of a warranty which will be honoured back home.
Best of luck!

Thanks Thumper ,

Will definitely take your advice on this and report back in due course - much appreciated!.

Roy

Back