Health Insurance Best VHI plan for 3 adults one teenager

pepper22

At the moment we have VHI One Plan Starter which is now being changed by the VHI itself to PublicPlus Care Day to Day. We got an email about this from VHI. We are 62 year old male with medication for blood pressure (hereditary) and cholesterol, myself 52 year old female no health problems (yet!) and a daughter 21 starting a new job in Sept this year. Our son is at college and he is 18. We just find it a minefield of confusion. Could you give us a recommendation before I contact VHI any particular plan that would be good for our situation?
Thanks

Hi pepper22,

Welcome to AAM.

The VHI One Plan Starter plan only covered public hospitals so the PublicPlus Care Day to Day plan also just covers public hospitals.
This plan is grand for public hospital cover but if you need surgery and the waiting lists are too long, you have no alternative private hospital option
on this plan.

It would be a good idea to consider a plan that also covers private hospitals, such as the Bons Secours Cork and Mater Private Cork in your county.
Even maybe for your husband at least, coming into his sixties. The following plan is worth considering, details as follows;

1. VHI One Plan 500; price 780pa; all public and private hospitals covered;; private hospital excess is capped at 500 x 2 max per year for all
private hospital admissions, day case excess 150 per procedure. There is no excess to pay in any public hospital. Limited day to day cover on this
plan.

2. Laya Precision 600 Connect; 729pa; all public and selected private hospitals covered(Note; Mater Private Cork covered, no cover for Bons Secours
Cork) but there is full cover for a hip or knee replacement surgery on this plan. Private hospital excess 600 per admission, day case excess 175 per
day case procedure. No excess to pay in any public hospital. Limited day to day cover on this plan.

3. VHI Company Plan Starter plan; price 770pa; all public and selected private hospitals covered (Note; Mater Private Cork covered, no cover
for Bons Secours Cork). Private hospital inpatient excess is 500 per admission and day case excess is 250 per procedure. There is no excess to
pay in any public hospital. There is good day to day refund cover on this plan, refund of 60 per consultant visit, 20 per gp visit, dental etc but the
first 25 not covered.

Option 1 has very good private hospital cover with both Bons Secours and Mater Private Cork covered, also the inpatient excess is capped for the
year at 500 x 2 max, but the day to day cover is limited. Option 3 has the better day to day cover, but the trade off is no Bons Secours cover and the
day case excess is a higher 250 per procedure. You can weigh up which is more valuable overall if choosing.
Note; you can be on different plans if it suits, according to your individual medical needs, with the same or different companies.

https://www.hia.ie/comparison-tool/...vY2siOmZhbHNlLCJwbGFuX2RldGFpbF9pZCI6LTF9fV0=

The PublicPlus Day to Day plan is ok for the 21 + 18 year olds and the 21 year old may be able to join a new company group scheme in the new job
in September. Something to keep in mind and ask about, it might be at a discount or fully covered by the job.

Regards, Snowyb

Regards, Snowyb

Thank you so much for this advice:) I rang up today and we did change to VHI one plan 500 and both young adults are going on PublicPlus Day to Day Plan as it turns out for almost the same price 1981e for everyone! Also it turns out my children were on public and private hospital care and I thought I had changed us all to public a few years ago to a more affordable plan. They had better cover than us unnecessarily!
I was better prepared thanks to Snowyb this time.

I also didn't realise should we develop a new health condition we wouldn't be able to access a private hospital for 2 years should we need to change our plan for private care.

I am not sure about the cost of having surgery i.e. hip replacement etc I think this is 60% with VHI One Plan 500 and I see Laya Precision 600 connect covers it fully. It is impossible to know what cover we will need in the future.

We are definitely happier with this cover.
I didn't want to ring up without this information because I just get completely bamboozled by what is or isn't covered and end up just letting it roll over because of lack of knowledge. We as older adults needed better cover.
Thanks Snowyb

pepper22,

If you develop a new health condition/illness at the moment on the new One Plan 500, you will be covered in a private hospital, no waiting.
Its only illnesses you already have(if any), that are not covered for 2 years.

One Plan 500 is a good move, even just for this year.
You can review your cover next year to see whats best.

Regards, Snowyb

Back