Best value Self-Directed AVC PRSA for a 10-15K lump sum?

Couldn't you get stock trading and vanguard in the same PRSA with standard life?

You could. If the amount transferred into the PRSA is >€100,000 the annual charge would be 0.75% in respect of self-directed funds and/or 0.65% in respect of Vanguard index-trackers. So then it would come down to whether Davy or Stocktrade (Standard Life's chosen stockbroker) would be cheaper for the trades you anticipate making.

Thanks Liam

Had a dig around for Stocktrade fee schedule pretty rich too see below for anyone interested:

Screenshot 2023-09-13 at 5.07.12 PM.png

Nice opportunity out there for a pension provider in the Irish market to provide a PRSA product which has as its execution only backend Interactive Brokers...such that the provider acts as an introducing brokers to IB.......ala Standard Life/Stocktrade.....but with unbeatable transaction & custody costs vs. Stocktrade/Davy.

Albeit Standard Life + Vanguard funds is kind of unbeatable solution for 90% of people

Did a bit of dive on Davy Self-Directed PRSA......if your investing universe is the UK & Ireland listed equities.....and if your in the single equity business.....Davy has a pretty attractive platform fee wise for this purpose.......0.75% AMC.......UK & Ireland transactions & on-going custody fees are free for online trades...so 0.75% annualized is all you pay...plus the one time purchase stamp duty 0.5%(UK) & 1% (ireland) but that isnt Davy's fault.....foreign stocks it gets more expensive and questionable...some FX scalping no doubt....then €25 annual custody fee per individual foreign held stock & 0.10% transaction fee to purchase that stock......could sure add up......it certainly changes the math on those looking at low cost Vanguard ETFs.

Short version:

Standard Life is the way to go to access low cost ETF's I think
If you think the UK & Ireland is a sufficient pool of opportunity for single stock selection then Davy is a great exectution only PRSA solution

My Irish pension is somewhat orphaned in Ireland......and my other investments already have a US a tilt......so a PRSA AVC pointed at UK & Ireland listed entities adds diversification and in a good way I think....so will likely that the plunge with Davy

I'm in a similar boat. Have an AVC with Irish Life 1% AMC only 3 choices only for fund type. Not allowed any individual investing choices of my own and performance by their "experts" has been poor to date.

I looked at Davy's self-directed option a few months ago. I'd be interested in ETFs only in € funds and they are not on the Irish/UK exchanges, so you'll get done by their fees per transaction.

Davy's fees really aren't worth it if you wanted to invest monthly or quarterly for some dollar csot averaging. If you only bought ETFs once or twice a year it is cheaper.
e.g. monthly

1695376585768.png
e.g. annual
1695376620920.png

So I've held off so far going to self-directed. Has anyone done similar cost calculations for Standard Life?

I looked at Davy's self-directed option a few months ago. I'd be interested in ETFs only in € funds and they are not on the Irish/UK exchanges, so you'll get done by their fees per transaction.

Davy's fees really aren't worth it if you wanted to invest monthly or quarterly for some dollar csot averaging. If you only bought ETFs once or twice a year it is cheaper.
e.g. monthly

For sure - Davy works fee wise for individual names but depending on account and position size it most likely shrinks your contestable investment universe down to UK & Ireland....which is not an insignificant amount of opportunity IMO....especially international groups listed in the UK which are just cheap cheap right now.

So I've held off so far going to self-directed. Has anyone done similar cost calculations for Standard Life?

Haven't done deep dive but dont really need too......bu short answer for you....absent any new providers coming into the market....is Standard Life is 100% the right route for you to access some Vanguard products....you need to go Standard Life via a broker....and humbly suggest that @LDFerguson as the right man for the job on that front he's been super helpful across this board for years.

Back