Best time to buy 32" LCD & Recommendations

tosullivan

I'm looking for a 32" LCD screen for a room primarily used by my kids and for watching footy. Do you think the deals in the sales now will be cheaper than in a few weeks time as these things are always dropping in price?

Any recommendations on one? I'm kinda sold on the fact that Samsung make the best LCD units but if anyone has any other recommendations I'd like to hear them.

I think you might have missed the boat on the best deals. I got a Philips 32" HD LCD on Stephen's Day for €399 in Powercity. I think Harvey Norman had them on the 27th at the same price. DID probably had something similar. As far as I know they all have the best deals on the opening day of their sale and even then it is limited to the first xxx.

I think Powercity still have 10% off. Their website say they have an online discount on the Samsung 32". They are quoting €780. I think they also have a policy where they will match or beat their competitors prices.

I am unsure if your assertion that "Samsung make the best LCD units" is correct.

It is not correct, but they are a reputable electronics company who manufacture LCD TVs to a high standard. Others to consider are Sony and Toshiba. There is very little between them in terms of quality.
A bigger issue to consider at this time when buying an LCD is whether you want to pay a couple of hundred euro more for a "Full HD" set (as opposed to HD Ready). Full HD sets give 1920 x 1080 pixelated lines (HD Ready gives 1366 x 768). Personally speaking, at least below a 42" screen size, there is no benefit in this extra expenditure.

tesco clearwater had pallets loads of lcds today.(philips. samsung, jvc, and others) all have 30% back in coupons.

tesco clearwater had pallets loads of lcds today.(philips. samsung, jvc, and others) all have 30% back in coupons.
how does the 30% back in coupons work out?

if I am right, you pay €700 for a TV, then get 210 tesco vouchers that are worth €2.10 in shopping????

Does anyone know how often Tesco do these special promotions on TVs etc? I asked in store, but got only vague replies, such as "could be anytime", or "you never know". They had a deal on at least once before, perhaps a month or 6 weeks ago, and then again immediately after Christmas, but stocks ran out of the shop! I now know exactly what I want (for someone else who can't go there himself) and if I know when the next deal is coming I'll be there with my ClubCard ready and waiting! The 30% back makes it a very good deal if you get a decent model, but without the deal, its nothing special.

I have decided after some research that I'd like to buy a 32" Samsung LCD. D.I.D and Harvey Norman in Drogheda had them for €799 and €759 the other day...I think you can buy on-line with Power City and pay €779.

I noticed in Currys in Navan they had two 32" models one for €799 and one for €999 and a 26" Samsung for €799...the assistant I dealt with had no reasonable explanation for the difference in price, didn't offer any technical reason..'it's just the latest model' (customer service not too hot there!)

Can any one suggest what is the minimum spec I should be looking for - I have Sky and should I wait a few months..will prices cone down.

Does anyone know how often Tesco do these special promotions on TVs etc? I asked in store, but got only vague replies, such as "could be anytime", or "you never know". They had a deal on at least once before, perhaps a month or 6 weeks ago, and then again immediately after Christmas, but stocks ran out of the shop! I now know exactly what I want (for someone else who can't go there himself) and if I know when the next deal is coming I'll be there with my ClubCard ready and waiting! The 30% back makes it a very good deal if you get a decent model, but without the deal, its nothing special.

Just after Xmas I know somone who got a 26" Bush LCD with the 25% off and 30% money back on his Tesco Club Card..he got the manager mind and argued his point.

Back