Best software to edit photos

Daisybell

I'm currently taking photos for a catalogue and I'm looking for advice on the best software for editing the photos. I have Paint Shop Pro which is fine for cropping and enhancing a photo but I'd like to be able to do more, such as take out the background if at all possible and perhaps take the reflection out of a mirror.

I have looked at previous threads referring to picsa & gimp but I'm not sure if these are suitable for the job I'd require.

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks ClubMan. The reason why I didn't download the Gimp was because I couldn't figure out how to do it! I couldn't find any exe file when I clicked on the link prevoiusly. Also I noticed someone else mentioning they found it difficult to use...I'm too tired to search for that reference right now! If you can help me out with downloading from your link I'd be much obliged.

Just to add that photoshop elements is simply the business when it comes to photo editing- I have it myself

Unfortunately, the manual with it is not great

You have Paintshop Pro and that's all you need. You can already do everything in that app I think you just need to spend more time learning it. That said I'd could only recommend Photoshop if you can bum a copy somewhere, then you buy some photo magazines with DVDs on the front cover that contain tutorials, these give you photography + photoshop lessons combined.
I take 1000s of photos every year and do shoots for people at weddings etc and that's the basics of what I do.

Thanks folks. I tried was downloading Photoshop Elements from the website the other night but lost my patience after an hour when it was only half downloaded. I realised I was on to the US website so it was probably their busy time. I downloaded a trial version of Photoshop CS2 on Saturday from the UK website but haven't had a chance to play around with it yet. I'm currently downloading Elements.

Nossie, I find Paint Shop Pro fine for cropping photos and enhancing them but I haven't been able to cut out the background with it. I basically take photos of items going in to a catalogue and want to either cut the whole item out to just have that appearing on a blank page or I want to blacken/whiten the background so only the item sticks out. I'm not sure if I'm making myself clear but basically if I'm taking a photo of a landscape I want to be able to cut out the tree and just have the tree alone on the page, no background whatsoever. Someone recommended Photoshop to me before but I think it retails at over €600.

Thanks. I got my hands on Photoshop 7 and just got a chance to play with it this evening. It was perfect for the job. I might play around with all the other software after the weekend when I have this current project out of the way.

Hopefully it's a legal copy of photoshop 7?

You can download a 30-day trial version of the latest photoshop from the Adobe website also.

nossie's advice above is good too, except the bit about "burning" a copy of the application, which is illegal.

Isn't installing and configuring The Gimp kind of awkward, though? At least it is with the Macintosh version.

It used to be but I think the latest versions (at least for Windows) are easier. Haven't used it in a while though.

Back