Best small diesel?

Hey RonanC,

Whats your take on SEAT resale value? Brother in law had an Altea from new, within a short time he resold and lost an absolute mint. SEATS do not hold their value too well?

Bob

The main problem is the badge and the snobbery attached to it. Drive a VW Golf and then jump into the SEAT Leon and I know which one you'd rather have. Same with the Altea which would be similiar to the Golf Plus. We had an Altea XL for a few days over in the UK and my dad, who is now a Merc man, loved it. The market for used Altea's wouldnt be that big either and you could say the same for the Golf Plus. I'd also take a Leon over an Altea, and if I wanted more space i'd go for the Altea XL.

SEAT always had a bigger drop in resale value compared to the other brands in the VW group with the exception of Skoda, but so do Fiat, Nissan, Citroen and Alfa Romeo for example.

... SEAT always had a bigger drop in resale value compared to the other brands in the VW group with the exception of Skoda, but so do Fiat, Nissan, Citroen and Alfa Romeo for example.
It tends to make them great value as second-hand purchases, but poor value from new. It doesn't make them poor cars, particularly in comparison to some of the others listed above.

In comparision to those listed, SEAT are miles ahead in terms of build quality, reliability and value. But i'm jus a little biased :p (I will someday own a Cupra R Leon 225bhp.... yum yum yum!!! )

Why not go the bit extra and buy new. We bought the new model polo in a 1.6diesel with scrappage for 14k. Same size as the old golf, great looking car and good resale value. Normally would never buy a new car but with a list price of 17600 we thought it was worth going the extra for at that price.

Has to be the corrolla.
I have a 2007 one with 103k kms on the clock and it still gives me almost 500kms for about €30 (not sure what mpg is). I do about 30k kms per year. Its a 1.4L D4D and is very quick, as good as a 2L D no prob. 97bhp and is as reliable as they come. If you are doing long distance the diesel is deffo the way to go. Wouldn't think there would be a huge difference with petrol and deisel if you are doing a lot of city driving. But if i could afford to upgrade I would definately buy another one.

Yeah, king of leaning towards the Corolla 1.4 D4D or the Ibiza 1.4TDi. Herself loves the look of the Ibiza - and I quite like it myself - so I guess it may win out.

I think I have it - the perfect smaller diesel (price, reliability,economy considered)

Kia Rio 1.5 CRDi - if bought in NI, might just get the €8000 budget

??

Back