Best/Simplest software for setting up a website?

Sn@kebite

Hi, Could anybody tell me a good/great program for setting up a website that can be easily produced and maintained (edited)?
Preferably someone with experience of the specific program.

Thanks!!

:)

Hi, Could anybody tell me a good/great program for setting up a website that can be easily produced and maintained (edited)?
Preferably someone with experience of the specific program.
I've no experience of producing a website, but for basic updates and maintainance "Notepad" can easily be used (e.g. addition of new text/links, update of news etc.). Obviously it won't have some of the functionality of more complex programmes, but for the basic updates it's certainly usable. [Click View > Source on the current page and you'll get a Notepad version of the code used to produce this page. When working on one of your own pages, be sure not to infringe on copyright etc of other sites, it's not too hard to figure out what text needs to be modified / added to give the required results. Simply a bit of time and some copy/paste activity. Free code available for download from some sites to allow more complex features to be added such as scrolling news bars and the likes.].

Not suggesting this is the best solution, but a possible way to maintain the basics of the site (without a requirement for training or additional software costs) after production.

Surely Dreamweaver is one of the easiest apps to use? Even Netscape Composer is about as simple as it gets too.

Depends how technical you need the software to be. There are loads of cheap, basic & easy to use template based web design software available.

Diywebkit is one example of these - it's obviously not very flexible but it is cheap and very easy to use.

Yes definatly Dreamweaver but it may looks very complex for 1st time user! I remember my first time, it took me a long time to learn my wy around it - a bit like photoshop, there are so many many embedded tools, icons, panel,etc.. in the prog, possiblities are endless..

I suggest you get "dreaweaver for dummies" or some similar doc, or you can also check on web for free video-tutorial, you need to learn the rigth way from the start, i.e. the right step by step on developping a good site. if done properly it will then be very easy to update/maintain..! and even use same templates for other sites. ;-)

iWeb. But you need a mac. :)

iWeb needs a Mac and a .Mac subscription

Windows Live Writer and Windows Live Spaces is the Windodow equivalent.

But these are mainly for blogs and personal sites. Is that what you want? Theres lots of ISPs and small apps that offer similar functionality. I've no direct experience of any though.

The easiest way to may a webpage is using Microsoft Word. Make a folder and use the File, Save as Webpage. feature.

You can also use Microsoft Publisher to make complete websites - there is a huge selection of templates which you can use. Ms Powerpoint also offers the option to save as a webpage.

Personally I feel that, while it has great functionality, Dreamweaver is not the best one for a beginner - it also helps to have a basic knowledge of html to tweak the codes.

A webpage is not a website. Also you have to consider CMS functionality.

If I am to understand the original request correctly, the original poster didn't request CMS functionality.

BTW you probably know anyway that a website is composed of a collection of related webpages, including images, sounds, video clips etc. and other information; these are made available through what appears to users as a single web server.

There was a guy on TV3 couple of weeks ago from that shop called 'Back to the future' or something like that. He showed what he considered to be the easiest kit for setting up a website, think it was only about €75. I know the shop is in Dublin but not sure where.

If I am to understand the original request correctly, the original poster didn't request CMS functionality. ....

....a website that can be easily produced and maintained (edited)?....

All I'm saying is you can buy a hosting plan that includes templates, and some CMS functionality which for all intents is all you need to build and maintain a web site.

If you you an application, that only half requirement. You still have to sort out hosting etc.

There was a guy on TV3 couple of weeks ago from that shop called 'Back to the future' or something like that. He showed what he considered to be the easiest kit for setting up a website, think it was only about €75. I know the shop is in Dublin but not sure where.

I'm sure Ireland's web development community is shaking in its boots,what with TV3 rumbling them and all. Remember, great websites are about great writing and great graphics.

Back