Best self catering attached to a hotel in ireland?

Blackrock1

Looking to book something for august, i know it may not happen but ill make sure to book something that i can cancel with no penalty.

in the off chance that it does happen id like a nice 3/4 bed self catering attached to a hotel where you can use the hotel amenities.

At this stage given everything that has been cancelled price is of secondary importance.

Doonbeg looks good, what other options are there? (will be my wife and me with a 6 year old and nearly 2 year old), grand parents may come and stay if we take a 4bed.

Doonbeg? There's only one show in that town ;) €848 a night for a 4 bed cottage. And you get to line the pockets of the US President too

Not a recommendation but i have just spoke to the managers of both the Amathus and Parklane hotels in Cyprus where we normally holiday at. They both expect to be back up and running towards the end of June and hopes to be taking bookings in next two weeks with a free cancelation policy. (I'd highly recommend both by the way)

Foreign summer holidays may not be entirely ruled out just yet. Might be worth keeping some fingers crossed if a foreign destination was originally in your plans.

Hello,

I have previously stayed at the following :

Waterford Castle:

Overall, I would recommend it.

It's a really nice place, the scenery is super, the house was modern and spacious, couple of food options with the golf club house being available for more casual dining etc.

Downside is that there's no pool or spa, but they've a deal done with a nearby hotel, so you can get access to both pool and spa there, if required.

Inchydoney:

Overall, it was good, but I think they only had apartments rather than houses available. Having a beach literally right outside the front door was great, hotel was grand, but you'd need a car to get to a shop etc

Kenmare Bay Hotel :

Within easy walking distance of a lovely town, with plenty to do during the peak season.

Hotel was okay, included a spa, pool etc.

Houses were okay - functional and very conveniently located, but the house we stayed in was in need of various "minor" repairs.

* All three locations also had dog friendly houses available, for those interested. That was a plus for me.

Last edited:
Hello,

I have previously stayed in one of the houses at Waterford Castle and overall, would recommend it.

It's a really nice place, the scenery is super, the house was modern and spacious, could of food options with the gold club house being available for more casual dining etc.

Downside is that there's no pool or spa, but they've a deal done with a nearby hotel, so you can get access to both pool and spa there, if required.

yeah they arent bad to be fair but really looking for somewhere attached to a hotel with a pool that we can walk to, not need a ferry to get to :)

Not a recommendation but i have just spoke to the managers of both the Amathus and Parklane hotels in Cyprus where we normally holiday at. They both expect to be back up and running towards the end of June and hopes to be taking bookings in next two weeks with a free cancelation policy. (I'd highly recommend both by the way)

Foreign summer holidays may not be entirely ruled out just yet. Might be worth keeping some fingers crossed if a foreign destination was originally in your plans.
parklane looks good!

Falls Hotel, Ennistymon. Great self catering accommodation, good facilities (gym, pool, Gardens....). Close to Lahinch for sea trips.

Having stayed a few time’s in the Waterford castle ‘lodges’ with children I’d definitely recommend those. Lovely grounds with scenic walks for families, plus the excitement of the super efficient trip across the island in part of Ireland with more likelihood of good weather than most of the rest of the country. With the city in view, the lovely Greenway and idyllic day trips to the sea at Dunmore East, Tramore or Woodstone, not forgetting a less than two hour motorway from Dublin.

Farnham Estate outside Cavan town - a real estate with plenty of adult only facilities and amazing grounds to refresh the spirit. And close enough to the Dublin - c. 90 minutes from m50

Farnham Estate outside Cavan town - a real estate with plenty of adult only facilities....

......will be my wife and me with a 6 year old and nearly 2 year old), grand parents may come and stay if we take a 4bed.

We stayed in Mount Falcon- Ballina self catering in January and enjoyed it a lot, they have a variety of lodges/houses in the grounds of the hotel

We stayed in Mount Falcon- Ballina self catering in January and enjoyed it a lot, they have a variety of lodges/houses in the grounds of the hotel

I've heard that's a very nice spot, but also very expensive.

Do you mind me asking if it was worth the cost and as a follow up question, would you pay the same to go a second time?

What is 'very expensive'. I thought the Waterford Lodges excellent value for money.

To the OP, we don't normally like hotels to stay in if it's for a week but we have enjoyed other places with the children. The Garryvoe Hotel, Co. Cork we booked a few times with adjoining rooms. The great thing about it is that it's so relaxed. They kids have great freedom there. And it's right beside the sea and has a pool too. We had great fun walking along the beach every day, kids up on the rocks loved it. And the hotel has a real pub down one end for the adults, with a swanky (in a lovely way) one at the front end. We stayed in the Castlemarter Hotel once, didn't like it, but the pool was lovely, (we got it due to the owner of the Garryvoe dying and were put up by the Castlemarter instead, it's VERY expensive so I'd never pay their prices). They have lovely lodges on the grounds, they are supposed to be pretty good. Traffic is horrific though. The grounds are fab, and there is golf there if you're into that. Lovely village too.

In Galway there are excellent apartments right on Eyre Square. Linked the Western Hotel. Expensive and hard to get. But we liked them for a city trip. Now the children are older.

What is 'very expensive'. I thought the Waterford Lodges excellent value for money.

I thought that Waterford Castle had been bumping their prices up over the last few years (we've actually gone there a few times), but because it ticked a lot of boxes for us, we still went.

I appreciate the point that you are making about what's very expensive, and Waterford Castle is far from cheap - but I seen to recall it being near 50% cheaper than Mount Falcon, with Mount Falcon not convincing me that they were work such a premium.

I've heard that's a very nice spot, but also very expensive.

Do you mind me asking if it was worth the cost and as a follow up question, would you pay the same to go a second time?

We were there on a January special rate and I would need a deal of some sort to return because its pricey all right. Because we had a 5m baby with us at the time, we made very limited use of the bar/restaurant and mostly cooked for ourselves in the lakeside lodge. The lodge had underfloor heating which was a big bonus.

Back