Health Insurance Best Scheme for a Family

fred123456

Hi,

I am on control 300 and just got my renewal and the prices has jumped massively. One of my kids is now 18 and classed as young adults, even though they are still doing there leaving certs. I am looking for a policy with good enough cover, with no major excess up to 300 euro and dont really care about the day to day costs (I can absorb).

Any help would be much appreciated, health insurance has turned into a minefield.

Kind Regards
Fergal.

Hi Fred,

Hope Wilma is keeping well :p

I would imagine that you would need to provide further information for some of the experts here to give you proper advice. How many people are to be covered on the policy and ages of children?

Presumably when you mention €300 you are referring to the 18 year old getting a cheap separate policy/cover?

Take it you have also had a root around on the www.hia.ie website to look at what's available.

You could also try searching previous threads on AAM for recommendations for cover for families and see what you can find there.

Its true what you say about it being a minefield but I always find it useful to listen to some of Dermot Goode's (from www.totalhealthcover.ie) podcasts for advice especially coming towards renewal.

Thanks JR :).

Sorry about confusion above

2 Adults and 1 Adult (18) and 1 Child (16).

The €300 refers to the excess on the policy, its the slider on the hia.ie website.

I am scanning totalhealthcover.ie, got a shock when i saw my monthly direct debits jumped so much.

Thanks for the help.

Don't forget, you don't all need to be on the same plan. If the 18 year old doesn't need knee / hip replacements, get a cheaper plan for them without full cover for that.

Thanks everyone, i thought everyone had to be on the same plan, so i will do a new search.
You don't even all have to be with the same provider - although it may be difficult to insure a child alone with most or all providers.

Thanks everyone, i thought everyone had to be on the same plan, so i will do a new search.
Personally, I find Laya very helpful if you call them, and might help you narrow it down to a small number of plans for you to research. I'm assuming your policy has already renewed if you mentioned a jump in DD amount?

I'm assuming your policy has already renewed if you mentioned a jump in DD amount?

Was surprised a while ago to see that Laya do allow some people on certain policies to switch mid-contract to another Laya policy whereas VHI do not allow this at all. See here as below:

Laya Healthcare has a 14-day cooling-off period from your renewal date where you can cancel, get a full refund, and switch to an alternative policy or insurer. On certain policies, Laya Healthcare will allow you to switch your policy mid-contract to another Laya policy.

Back