best sat nav?

who ru

hi all,

have done a bit of research online into best sat nav system for ireland.

Garmin nüvi 660 seems to be the best option. it's available on komplett for 420e.

was wondering if anyone has this system and what their thought are on it.

all the best.

You'll find refurbished Garmin Nuvi 300's here for €154:

Uk and Ireland mapping, full warranty. Seems like a good deal.

I would also be interested in your replies as looking to buy one for the OH for christmas, I was also looking at the 660 as I like the idea of the being able to bring it on holidays and that it plays over the car speakers for the hands free phone.

I just had a Garmin 660 fitted. Advantage over the 300 is that it is widescreen and also comes with FM transmitter enabling you to tune the hands free on the sat nav into an FM radio station on your radio. If you select the option to have the hands free through the car radio you still have to press (touchscreen) button on the sat nav and select the radio station button hear the call. Not as handy as it should be. Sound quality from the sat nav or via the radio is only average. As yet I haven't had much need to use the sat nav itself but I was advised not to register the unit with Garmin until next march as the maps etc will be updated before then and then I should get the update free. Apparently Garmin have the best maps for ROI.

If I was to buy again I'd buy the 300. Then if you do want to have the thing tuined into the radio yoiu can try (& then buy) an FM transmitter separate.

Garmin 250 with europe preloaded now down to €250 in curry's I think. (I paid 300 only 6 months ago!) have used all over Ireland and in parts of Spain, France, Germany Slovenia and Croatia. (Have a job with good hols!) Found it to be excellent in Western Europe and Slovenia, and in cities in Croatia. Compact too. Would recommend.

I have TomTom One Europe and find it also excellent.

Have a look at both and see which user interface you prefer. They are both much the same

Garmin 200 NUVI (the smaller 3.5 inch screen) is €229 in halfords.

Also, Garmin 250 NUVI (4.5 inch screen) is €269.99 in halfords.

You won't go wrong with the Garmin nuvi 300. It is the basic satnav without all the flashy extras, but else do you need a satnav for. This unit still does the job perfectly fine.

If you were living in England, I would say go for one with the traffic alerts or locations of speed cameras, but even though you can buy these in Ireland those features do not work here, unfortunately.

My wife... while the acquisition cost was resonnable, the running cost is veyr high...:)

thanks lads for all your replies, much appreciated. all considered the garmin nuvi 300 looks like the best deal.

don't get carried away with the widescreen versions...they are just gmmicks

Don't get carried away with SatNav's !!

I wonder just how many people in the world have a SatNav and spend 99% of their time driving routes they already know?

I admit that they would be invaluable for sales reps etc, but I know people who have them and rarely do anything other than drive around their home town, from their house to work or house to in-laws or house to supermarket.

Don't get carried away with SatNav's !!

I wonder just how many people in the world have a SatNav and spend 99% of their time driving routes they already know?

I admit that they would be invaluable for sales reps etc, but I know people who have them and rarely do anything other than drive around their home town, from their house to work or house to in-laws or house to supermarket.

Have to agree, a satnav is a flashy bit of kit, but to be honest, most of the time I don't use it. It is great though if you are in a city like Dublin and you are a country bumpkin like me. Also great if you are travelling to another part of the country you don't know.

Bottom line, I really don't need it a lot of the time but when I do need it, it is invaluable; that is why I said in a previous post not to worry about all the extras, just go for the basic version.

Have to agree, a satnav is a flashy bit of kit, but to be honest, most of the time I don't use it. It is great though if you are in a city like Dublin and you are a country bumpkin like me. Also great if you are travelling to another part of the country you don't know.

Bottom line, I really don't need it a lot of the time but when I do need it, it is invaluable; that is why I said in a previous post not to worry about all the extras, just go for the basic version.

Totally agree. I wouldn't be going out spending €600 on one that has maps of Greece and other fancy nonsense that you will never use.

Get the cheapest that has street level maps of Ireland (that can be updated) and that should do you.

Have a Nuvi 660 and reasonably impressed. Agree that the sound quality is only average. But then no worse than other units I've seen. Have used the navigation in both Ireland and the UK. The only problem I've encountered is that sometimes it appears to bring you down very minor roads rather than selecting Regional or National routes which would be safer and ultimately faster. However this aside I've managed to reach my destinations with the minimum of fuss!

Re: Map updates for Garmin Nuvi 250

Need to purchase a sat. nav. system as we are flying to Gerona Airport and driving to Tarragona in Spain. We rented a sat nav from an irish company for our holiday to France last year and would have been lost (or divorced) without it. Looking for a recommendation as to a sat. nav. that would have maps pre-installed for Ireland and other European counties. I know there are numerous sat. navs. on the market but the amount is a bit mind boggling. Has somebody purchased one lately? and would they have advice on purchasing one? What should I be looking for? What is the average I should expect to pay? What brand is the best? Really would appreciate any advice!

Re: Map updates for Garmin Nuvi 250

Need to purchase a sat. nav. system as we are flying to Gerona Airport and driving to Tarragona in Spain. We rented a sat nav from an irish company for our holiday to France last year and would have been lost (or divorced) without it. Looking for a recommendation as to a sat. nav. that would have maps pre-installed for Ireland and other European counties. I know there are numerous sat. navs. on the market but the amount is a bit mind boggling. Has somebody purchased one lately? and would they have advice on purchasing one? What should I be looking for? What is the average I should expect to pay? What brand is the best? Really would appreciate any advice!
Both ALDI and LIDL are advertising sat-nav units for around 300 euro at the moment with the ALDI one looking particularly good value.

I use a Garmin Nuvi 660FM which I find to be excellent, but cost about 440 euro, although speed camera warnings / locations in the UK are a little out of date.

I recently bought a panasonic sat nav, model number cn-gp50 .
It has a five inch wide screen display and full european mapping .
It also has bluetooth and the sound quality from it is very good.
Paid 449 euro for it.

I recently bought a panasonic sat nav, model number cn-gp50 .
It has a five inch wide screen display and full european mapping .
It also has bluetooth and the sound quality from it is very good.
Paid 449 euro for it.
keep the receipt...

Back