Best Rucksack

RockSolid

Hiya All,

Have my RTW Ticket booked! What Rucksack to go for! looking for a 55 + 15 L or so? Any suggestions? Wheels or no Wheels? Look for one that will last for the year and is not too dear.

Thanks

Don't know particularly about brands, but I had a Jansport that lasted 15 years with fairly heavy use on trips (!), and now have a Jeep one that appears to be very durable.

Hint (and no affiliation with the store): Try TK Maxx....you can get some great brands at much lower prices than in other stores.

Hiya All,

Have my RTW Ticket booked! What Rucksack to go for! looking for a 55 + 15 L or so? Any suggestions? Wheels or no Wheels? Look for one that will last for the year and is not too dear.

Thanks

Wheels add extra weight & dig into your back if you have to carry it.

So if you are going places where you have to carry (i.e. cannot drag) don't get anything with wheels.

I have a karrimore which I would reccomend.

Also be aware of top loaders versus side loader. You will get very side of a top loader very quickly as you have to take everything out to find stuff, but side loader it is easier to find things.

my 2 cents!

Best to get a side loader. Definitely no wheels I would day. Also make sure that all the loose straps etc can be zipped into the bag when you are checking it in. Sporthouse bags (manufactured in Ireland) definitely get my vote. They can be a little pricier than other brands but are difficult to slit open with a knife and they wear so well also.

I'd second the sporthouse sideloader, adjustable straps that can be zipped in when flying. mine has been round the world twice and still going strong.

I used a Lowe Alpine bag for my RTW trip and after a year of abuse it still looked perfect. It was 70 litres but had great back support, so easy to carry.

Cheers for the Info lads.

Where is the best place to buy one.

I have heard about this 1 Highlander TX1 55 + 15 is it any good.

My budget is about €100 or can i get anything good for that price.

Try the camping stores on Mary St (Thats if you are in Dublin)
Some good stuff in there.

definitely do NOT get one of those ones with the 'day pack' that zips ont the front of the main bag. Bad idea. the weight ends up too far from your body and creates too much of a lever effect.

Also, organise all the stuff you think you need and then half it !

can't recommend a specific rucksack but as pique said try to minimise your luggage, depending on the countries you're visiting on your rtw you will probably find it cheap enough to get your clothes washed for you at regular intervals and you may be better off buying clothes as you go along rather than stuffing 10 tshirts, 10 shirts etc. go minimal.

definitely do NOT get one of those ones with the 'day pack' that zips ont the front of the main bag. Bad idea. the weight ends up too far from your body and creates too much of a lever effect.

Also, organise all the stuff you think you need and then half it !

Depends how you pack it ... when backpacking before I had my large & a separate day pack, was a night mare, esp if having to carry beach mats, bottles of water as well. Now have zip on day pack far handier to manage.

[FONT=&quot]You should buy a rucksack that you can lock with a padlock or padlocks. If you get one with clips, you will have to buy one of those mesh thingys to secure it; otherwise anyone will be able to open it; so go for one with zips. [/FONT]

Back