VHI Best Plan for age 55 plus

Topsey

My husband has renewed our health insurance in January 19. We are on the one plan 150 IPID for the past year which was an upgrade from a starter plan. This plan includes our daughter who has turned 18 last week. We had been VHI members for over 20 years but due to job loss etc we had to forfeit our health insurance for 2 years which took us back to step one. We had to start all over again in 2015 with One Plan Starter and then we upgraded to one plan 150 in 2018. I have been looking at the benefits and I'm not sure they are really up to the standard we may require as we get older. Orthopaedic is more important than maternity right now and cardiac etc are things we may need in the future. Should I be looking at changing the plan or moving to another insurance provider next? Is there a better plan out there for us? We are currently paying €2038 per year for one Plan 150 but I'm not sure that I am actually covered by this plan if I present to a doctor with a pain in my knee today VHI will argue with me that this is pre existing and refer me back to my basic previous plan.

Hi Topsey,

Welcome to AAM.
Firstly, as you are with VHI, you cannot switch to another plan until January 2020. VHI do not allow switching outside of renewal date.

The plan you are on at the moment, One Plan 150, is not great cover for orthopaedic surgery(hip or knee replacement). 60% cover in private
hospitals would mean a shortfall of 6000, which is too much. For plans with full cover for this type of surgery, the best options are with Laya
Healthcare.
The following plans are worth keeping in mind for next January 2020, for 2 adults. Details as follows;

1. Laya Essential Health 300; price 895pa; all public, private and Beacon hospital covered, full cardiac cover also in Blackrock Clinic and
Mater Private hi-tech hospitals, private excess capped at 300 x 2 max per year for all private admissions. Day case excess 125 per procedure.
No excess to pay in any public hospital. No excess applies to orthopaedic surgery in any private hospital, full cover on this plan.

2. Laya Simply Connect; price 1100pa; all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered, private/hi-tech excess capped at 150 x 2 max per year
for all private/hi-tech admissions. Day case excess 50 per procedure. No excess to pay in any public hospital. Good day to day cover included,
refund of 50% for gp visits, consultants, dental, physio etc - subject to a max refund of 500 per year.

https://www.hia.ie/comparison-tool/...vY2siOmZhbHNlLCJwbGFuX2RldGFpbF9pZCI6LTF9fV0=

18 year old options;
The following 2 plans are worth keeping in mind for next January 2020 for the 18 year old. VHI are most competitive on price for young adults. Details as follows;

1. VHI Company Plan Plus Level 1.3; price 382pa; all public,private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered. Private/hi-tech excess 150 per admission,
day case excess 50 per procedure. No excess to pay in any public hospital. Good day to day cover included, refund of 50% for gp visits,
consultants, dental, etc.

2. VHI PMI 07 10; price 399pa; all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered, private/hi-tech excess capped at 150 x 1 max per year for all
admissions, day case excess 50 per procedure. No excess to pay in any public hospital. Good day to day cover included, refund of 50% for gp
visits, consultant visits, dental, physio etc.

https://www.hia.ie/comparison-tool/...Mb2NrIjpmYWxzZSwicGxhbl9kZXRhaWxfaWQiOi0xfX1d

Regarding your pain in your knee, you will be covered in public hospitals at the moment but you would have to wait until next January 2020
before private hospitals are fully covered for your knee. New illnesses arising in future would be covered in private hospitals at the moment.

Regards, Snowyb

Back