Best place to see the Northern Lights (AURORA BOREALIS)?

Mpsox

My wife's 40th is coming up this year and she has always wanted to see the Northern Lights. I can see some great looking hotels/breaks advertised in Iceland and Norway but just wondering if anyone has had any experience in going to see the Lights on such a break or can give any advice as to the best place to go

Iceland is tempting because it looks so different, but it has a reputation for being expensive, is this still correct given the state of their economy?

Re: Best place to see the Northern Lights?

They're supposed to be fantastic.

The only knowledge I have is form reading a Bill Bryson book where he went to Oslo and then took a 48 hour bus trip to somewhere very north in Norway.

The snag is that there is no guarantee as to when the Northern Lights will appear. I think he hung around for over a week before the show began.

Can't even remember the name of the book for reference. Sorry.

I heard that http://www.destinasjontromso.no/english/useful_info.html (Tromso) in Norway is the best spot to catcht the Northern Lights

Callybags, I think the name of the Bill Bryson book you're talking about where Olso is referenced is Neither Here nor There.

when is her birthday?

From visitnorway.com

When to see the northern lights

Seeing the northern lights is a jaw-dropping and mystical moment. The lights are at their most frequent in late autumn and winter/early spring. October, February and March are the best months for auroral observations. The highest northern lights frequency is between 6 pm and 1 am.
In order to get full value from the show you should avoid the full moon and places with a lot of light as they make the experience considerably paler.

well i was in iceland in january but unfortunately the northern lights could not be seen while we were there as the skies need to be clear. Expense wise it was similiar to here but tours were expensive. We had a brilliant time there.

The northern lights are pretty elusive and there is no guarantee you will see them wherever you go. I didn't get to see them in Norway in February a couple of years ago, but I would stress it was a fabulous trip. Seeing the lights would have been the icing on the cake of an otherwise excellent break.

I saw the Lights just outside Killarney 4 years ago!!!! Just Google it and different sites will tell you where they are most visible at the moment. It might not be too far away from you !

Yep, we've seen them in Sligo before too, back in 2003. I was up in Churchill Canada this past October but because of clouds and then a full moon, we only glimpsed them for about 2 mins! And the photograph I took came out better than what we seen....the long exposure works wonders!! Even the few mins we seen was pretty cool though.

The northern lights are pretty elusive and there is no guarantee you will see them wherever you go. I didn't get to see them in Norway in February a couple of years ago, but I would stress it was a fabulous trip. Seeing the lights would have been the icing on the cake of an otherwise excellent break.

Unfortunately due to the lights on a ship you can hardly even see the stars at night. Now if they turned off the lights, it would probably be amazing.

Roses are red , Violets are blue, here are the Aurora Borealis just for you......

Lovely thought, hope you get to see them.

When growing up in Derry I could see them quite often during Autumn mostly. In recent times lights from cities make them more difficult to see so the further north you go and away from large towns the better. It seems with this latest sun flare they might be more visible in Ireland.

lights

I saw the Lights just outside Killarney 4 years ago!!!! Just Google it and different sites will tell you where they are most visible at the moment. It might not be too far away from you !

I reckon if the missus gets wind of the info that Iceland or Norway was in the equation and ends up Killarney you might not be around for the 41 candles.

Check out northern Norway, there's a hotel there, can't think of the name of it but it has little bunker rooms with pod shaped glass roofs that you can look at the lights through.

Back