best place to buy firewood

foggym

Can anyone recommend a good place to buy good quality, well seasoned firewood, either online or in a radius of Kildare? Also does anyone know what a good price is? Only got the stove in this year so new to this and a bit confused by the prices quoted by tonne/bag/pallet etc, hard to compare. Thanks very much

I have a place to store it, just looking for some suggestions for a good place to buy it

I bought a 1 tonne bag of firewood from Doyles of the Shamrock in Graiguecullen for €60 (including delivery) the other week. Reasonalble size pieces, fairly good condition. Thought that was good value.....

buying timber by weight is not good practice as in the absence of a specific water content ballygowen might be cheaper:)

By volume and by water content are the criteria once you have picked a timber

I wasn't buying it by the weight - it came in the 1 tonne bags that sand etc. come in, apologies if i came across otherwise. I figured it would be enought to keep me going for a while once the weather kicks in!

We have just bought our 2nd 1t bag of firewood off this crowd

We paid a bit extra the 2nd time to get hardwood as it was drier, it is also less crackly which is good as the previous logs were very loud at times! Flossie's €60 offer looks good, will be looking into that company to see what current offers are, thanks.

Hey folks, can I revisit this topic and ask if anyone has any good tips on where to buy firewood in the Kildare/Newbridge area? Last winter I was buying trailer loads of probably about a tonne at a time but the guy I bought from has put his prices up hugely this year so I'm shopping around again and would appreciate any feedback on where any of you are buying from and how much it's costing this year. Thanks!

I am in same boat. Last year I got 1 cubic meter of stacked kiln dried ash from "logonforlogs" delivered to Mayo. This year its €250 They burnt well.(20 or 28cm)
This year I am also looking at "hotlogs" who do a bulk bag (20cm or 40cm) kiln dried for also €250.
I would also like to hear re cheaper logs.

Hi Rayn, I ended up placing an order with my original supplier at the weekend (who is now doing a 'special' - I suspect he found I wasn't the only customer who balked at his price rise) for 2 x 0.8 cubic metre bags of hardwood plus delivery for €130. Still more than last year but a lot less than he quoted 3 weeks ago! He's local, so I suspect not much use to you, but FYI on the price front.

If the fruits of my research are any use to you I found some good prices on sites like gumtree and donedeal etc. A lot of these looked like farmers clearing trees, so the prices were good but I was a little nervous I wouldn't be able to judge how dry it was. The two commercial sites I earmarked were http://www.turftimber.com/ (I'm in the area for their free delivery, which helps, and don't know if they go as far as your neck of the woods) and [broken link removed], which seems to cover most of the country. I know nothing about either vendor other than they were cheaper than the others I found.

Good luck with your search!

Ganlys in Athlone are doing tonne bags for €60 delivered, I think!
I was in earlier and passed a sign.

Still trying to figure that out! Last year I bought a few loads of softwood from www.ecofiring.com and would recommend them but this year I want to try to get some hardwood and the prices for that are way different. The only way I can take any kind of good price is to buy at least 2 tonne bags and I really can only store about one at a time.

I've seen a lot of ads on Donedeal for firewood in Kildare at half the price the companies with websites are selling it for but the one and only time I bought that way before was a disaster. It was total rubbish, wet and filthy! Does anyone have anyone around they've bought from they could recommend or any tips how to spot and avoid the cowboys?

Hello Foggym,
Last year got a load from Woodfuel in Co. Meath. Very good quality kiln dried Ash. I was very satisfied and today got delivery of same. And at the same price as last year.

Back