Best place to advertise property apart from DAFT?

tweety76

I have a house that my tenants are moving out of.

I am planning on re-advertising on DAFT( still toying with the idea of doing it through a letting agent but can't really justify the cost).

Are there any other websites etc. out there that anyone can advise advertising on?

Do you think there is much point in advertising the property in local shops etc? Has anyone ever successfully achieved a rental out of local ads?

Thanks

Hi tweety76

I put a notice up in our local super-market, got calls the following day, I was lucky with my tenants, no problems.

Regards

Hizzy

I got one tenant from Daft, another from the local paper, one from Tesco's advertising board - she works for Tesco, and the last one from a sign board, similar to the ones the estate agents use, which I placed in the front garden. It cost €30 and I use it every time the house is empty. It just says 'To Let' and has my mobile number on it.

The house has only been empty for maximum 1 week between tenancies.

[broken link removed]

The more places you advertise, the more enquiries you'll get. Good Luck!

Usually use the same add on daft. I just keep renewing the add and change the details when i have an empty. Doesnt cost anything to renew the add over and over. A little trick i learned form a few other landlords here :)

I have an advert on Daft at the moment and another in the Independent and Herald: the newspapers win out 2 to 1. I was surprised.

One tip I would offer: have a really detailed list of questions on a form for your prospective clients and discuss each one with them: personal & contact details including the original address in East Pakistan or Central Congo or where-ever (some local residents had a lot of difficulty with that one :), the length of tenancy, the occupancy, number of occupants, evidence of identity: PPS Numbers, Passport, etc etc and documents revealing the ability to pay the rent, and most important of all, contact details for the previous landlord and how long they had been there. Why are they leaving?

One person who came to me this week revealed that her previous landlord didn't like her. I found out why. She took the house from a letting agent at the rent asked. Signed the lease for 12 months. Every thing done and dusted. Tenant moves in and immediately seeks to re-negotiate the rent with the owner. Begins to demand changes. Better this better that. When the landlord refused the tenant refused to pay the rent and began looking for another property. She came to me, bargained my price down, and then had to give me the name of her previous landlord. I said to her: "What is to stop you doing exactly the same to me?" In the ensuing conversation she revealed she could not afford my rent either and that brought our discussion to a polite conclusion. Take care.

This tenant had the idea that she had three months during which she could break the lease. Is this correct?

Back