Other Best pet insurance

Treefrog2108

Hi. sorry if this is in the wrong forum.

Im looking to get pet insurance for my crossbreed terrier dog.he is about 8 years old and has never been insured before.altough he is fit as a fidddle and happy as a lark.

Does anyone have pet insurance and can they recommend a company.what price range is it for a years cover? and will they insure a crossbreed dog.

thanks

Hi Treefrog.

I have my crossbreed hooligan insured with Allienz. I pay about €160 per year, but the benefits are good. Like cover for kennels if I've to go into hosp. etc.

I hate to throw a spanner into your plans, but at eight years old it will be difficult to get a first insurance on him. I suggest you have a look on the different companies websites.

Best of luck. I know the reassurance of having them insured is great.

Darth.

Forget Insurance set up a bank account to cover any costs you might incur on his behalf. Set a side a few euros per week and then should anything happen you'll have money there to cover the costs. If nothing happens then you're on the upside re money and a healthy happy dog. I wouldn't waste my money on insurance IMO it's a scam, and you, the owner is the loser in most cases.

Forget Insurance set up a bank account to cover any costs you might incur on his behalf. Set a side a few euros per week and then should anything happen you'll have money there to cover the costs. If nothing happens then you're on the upside re money and a healthy happy dog. I wouldn't waste my money on insurance IMO it's a scam, and you, the owner is the loser in most cases.

Agreed. This is the best idea imo. I did have pet insurance, but now I just leave a few bob to the side in case anything needs doing for the moggie.

sorry for the late replies,internet has been down . Thanks for all the suggestions.
I like the idea of just putting money aside without the insurance. Vet bills are quite high just for a routine visit,and if they prescribe medication such as anti biootics the price is crazy/.I ahve actually not been ableto insure him on some websites because he is a crossbreed.strange.
anyways thanks.

I ahve actually not been ableto insure him on some websites because he is a crossbreed.

That is odd. I have been looking for quotes and have had no problem with getting quotes for a cross breed and in petinsurance.ie and Allianz the quote is cheaper for crossbreed than pedigrees.

BTW, what is the standard vet consultation fee for a dog ?

I pay €38 for a standard consultation, all jabs, medication etc on top.

I know some advice below says to put a few € away every week for treatment, which is fine, BUT remember the liability cover that is included with pet insurance. If the animal runs into the road, causes a car accident you can be held accountable and this is covered. Also, if the vets bills were €1500 would you have that amount put away?

I am with Allianz as they were the most comprehensive in terms of benefits. €14 per month (no DD % charge on the premium). Peace of mind for all involved.....

Last edited:
The whole 'put a few bob away' is fine for some people but could you put a way a few grand for an emergency operation??

I know i couldn't, i'd much rather pay a small monthly fee.

As for the pet insurance uping vet fees, in general there is an excess which means you can't claim for standard everyday fees, so that is not an arguement

Back