Best pension option for a business owner?

DarLev

Hi,

Me and my girlfriend are looking at setting up a pension and had some questions about the best setup :

• We are both 33 years old
  • We don't have an existing pension
  • Me and my girlfriend own a rental property each - each property brings in 35k after tax each (70k total - covers our living expenses).
  • Me and my girlfriend have no other income or salary.
  • I don't own a private residence
  • We have no dependents
  • Hope to retire at 60

Me and my girlfriend own a trading company which has been operating for 1 year : We own a Holding Company (50/50) which owns 100% of the Operating Company.

The operating company generates around 150k profit a year

We are wondering what is the best pension option to setup a pension to help grow our investments in the most tax efficient way - we would like to buy rental property and index funds within the pension and let them grow tax free.

We are not looking to take a salary from the trading company - as we don't need the income and don't want to pay higher rate of tax.

We are looking at a way to make contributions to a pension without taking a salary if possible and use the contributions as a tax write off for the business where possible.

Some questions we had :

• What is the best pension scheme for us : executive pension or SSAP?
  • Roughly what is the maximum contribution limit our company could make to me and my girlfriends pension without paying a salary based on the info above?
  • How much of that contribution would be tax deductible for our business?

Thanks

You must be drawing a salary from the Company in order to make it "pensionable ". No salary = no pension
Also, your rental income is not pensionable (deemed as un-earned income).
So if you want to establish a formal pension structure of any type, you must have a income from the business.

Back