Best option for a loan with flexible payback?

Deano

I'm looking at getting a load for 20k over 3 years but ideally I'd like to be able to pay this back quicker than that term. I need to keep it at 3 years to allow for flexibility - I won't be able to overpay every month.

Are there any options that will take this additional payment off the principle and reduce the amount of interest paid back?

This is actually for solar and an EV so the An Post green loan (4.9% APR) is an option, but it is fixed.

Then there is the AIB green loan (6.4% APR) and Revolut personal loan (5.99% APR).

Hi Deano,

An Post / Avant is fixed, but no penalty for early repayment.

Have a look here, and let me know if anything is unclear.

You shouldn't really be hammering away at clearing the mortgage early and then taking out unsecured borrowings at a higher rate...

You shouldn't really be hammering away at clearing the mortgage early and then taking out unsecured borrowings at a higher rate...
I have been hammering away at the mortgage but obviously won't be doing that in the short term if I have a higher interest loan to pay back :)

Hi Deano,

An Post / Avant is fixed, but no penalty for early repayment.

Have a look here, and let me know if anything is unclear.

Sorry for not responding - there was an awful lot to go through there!

From looking at the sums, I'd be saving €400 over the term of the fixed An Post loan compared to the next best I could find (AIB). To be honest, this is probably good enough for me to simply go for the An Post option.

I have been hammering away at the mortgage but obviously won't be doing that in the short term if I have a higher interest loan to pay back :)
Still doesn't make sense...
Around €10k in shares and $10k cash (which will be put off the mortgage shortly)

Should I be doing something else with our surplus money every month?

Still doesn't make sense...
What doesn't make sense? That post on the other thread was from almost two years ago, but you keep referring to it??

Revolut allow overpayment whenever you want on their loans, reducing the term when you do so. It’s instant in the app, very impressive.

I had an Avant load before, they do offer the same, but it’s a little more clunky - you can send a bank transfer to them with the loan reference included, but I found you had to call them to find out the new balance each time.

I also found Avant good but I never knew exactly how much was outstanding without ringing them up. I switched the loan to Revolut so that I could over pay and also keep track.

Back