best online stock broker

farmerette

im currently a goodbodies online ( only ) customer and i have to say , they are extremley limited when it comes to buying ETF,s or anything out of the mainstream , thier also quite expensive in terms of commision

can anyone recomend some online brokers who provide access to lesser known stocks and ETF,s

Hi Anuj21k, could you send me pm too, please ? Thanks in advance

I wouldnt mind seeing that pm too.
I've been with oanda for a while now, and its not really suiting me.
Paddypower.com seems an awful site. Always down and not great graphics

Any others?

I meant to say, im only interested in currencies, but some stocks would be nice.
Ease of deposit/withdrawal are a must, with a nice graphics...
Thanks!

I switched to TD Waterhouse from Goodbodys a few months back. They are a lot cheaper, (€20 per trade) as opposed to high (imo) commission rates and a poor FX from Goodbodys. Website is better too. But its got some problems as you will see from other posts here with how shares prices are displayed. Overall I am happy with the switch. There is more info available to traders and there is access to a lot more markets. As a bye the bye, I read recently that Goodbodys were sold to Fexco. Don't know what difference that will make for traders. See Irish Times [broken link removed]

First time user.....

Does anyone have comments, good / bad, on Davy Stockbroker's online product ?

Anyone others you would point me to ?

No specific comment on Davys but check out charges before deciding - from memory they were on a par with Goodbodys, and you'll see what I thought of their charges from the previous post. Also bear in mind what markets they offer access to and what the online platorm offers, ie "real time" quotes, charts, company information etc. There is of course a difference between execution only trades and a full service which is more costly. If you intend to trade in US/UK you might want to use the services of online brokers in those countries, and you will see a number of references to them in AAM and thro a quick google search. Do the homework on this now before you take the plunge. Extracting yourself from a broker you're not happy with is both costly and time-consuming.

Sorry didnt logged on for a while.
- www.cmcmarkets.ie are good, covers most of irish/uk stock and major US stocks. I am using them for over 6 months now and service is not 2 bad.
- Just recently heard a word that www.zecco.com US online broker is very good platform if you want to focus on US only stocks cover wider variety of stocks as well. Just applied to be with them recently.
Please do your own research before you sign on to anything.
If you want more info. PM me.
Thanks,
Anuj

I use goodbody online for irish shares and i find it just about ok. Very expensie and just about ok to use.
I use ZECCO.com for US shares and find it excellent. Great easy to use website and if you keep balance about $25k then trading is free (10 per month) otherwise it is $4.50 per trade.

I use goodbody online for irish shares and i find it just about ok. Very expensie and just about ok to use.
I use ZECCO.com for US shares and find it excellent. Great easy to use website and if you keep balance about $25k then trading is free (10 per month) otherwise it is $4.50 per trade.

I gather goodbody's were sold by AIB to Fexco. Maybe that will make a difference 2 price. I switched from them 2 TD Waterhouse - lot cheaper and they do American trades.

Hi,

I am sure zecco is gr8 platform I want to trade small cap US stocks thats the only reason I went to them as they offer wide variety of stocks. Will be good to know if anyone has any experience in that market.
Also I think market is already over-heated and its better to wait a quarter before going all-in on the market . What do readers think about that.

I use davy online stockbrokers but i find that the shares are always down 1-3 % at purchase perhaps its the bid-offer spread .Maybe i should use purchase orders in future instead of buying directly on line . I hadnt noticed such immediate losses with the uk or us online firms . I manage my own prsa pension with davy . Has anybody any suggestions?

Hi,
...zecco is gr8 platform I want to trade small cap US stocks thats the only reason I went to them as they offer wide variety of stocks...

Hi Anuj21k,

I was wondering how you're getting on with Zecco.com and if you can offer any other opinions on it. I was also wondering if you could tell me what money transfer facility you used to fund your account?

I have also recently signed up to Zecco.com but am yet to find a way, I am comfortable with, to transfer money to my account!

Thanks...

Hi Anuj21k,

I was wondering how you're getting on with Zecco.com and if you can offer any other opinions on it. I was also wondering if you could tell me what money transfer facility you used to fund your account?

I have also recently signed up to Zecco.com but am yet to find a way, I am comfortable with, to transfer money to my account!

Thanks...

I have a Zecco account and have found a way to transfer funds from my Irish account to the Zecco account for free.

You need to open up an currency exchange account in the UK like "Worlds First". You send Euro from your Irish account to the Worlds First account, as the transfer is in euro and in London it is free as far as Irish banks are concerned and you get a much better exchange rate than the Irish banks or Zecco will give you. Then you exchange the funds into US dollar and tell Worlds First to transfer the funds into your Zecco account. If the amount is over 7kUS then the transfer is free.

Viola.... free transfer from your irish account to your Zecco account.

Hope this was helpful, let me know if you have any more questions.

Favourite

I would like you to explain in more detail how you did this. I followed your advice and my experience turned out to be different from yours.

Zecco will not accept a wire from World First. The reason being that the wire has to come from you or an account in your name, not a third party. When you get setup with World First you don't get an account per say. You transfer money to a World First account and the monies are transferred from a World First account. Your name doesn't appear officially. Zecco see that a third party is wiring money to you and reject it, at a fee.
This has been confirmed by World First. In turn I explained it to Zecco and they said the wire will always be rejected by them in this case. They wouldn't accept the receipts I recieved from World First. I explained that 'someone else' could do it but to no avail.

Unfortunately, this has cost me time and money. The returned wire cost 30 USD and to exchange back to EUR I will lose several hundred euros.

My only real alternative is to setup an USD account with my Irish bank, transfer the dollars to it and then onto Zecco and just pay the wire fee.

Please, no one else take this advice until Favourite can elabarate a bit more.

Back