Best online broker

irishguy

I'm looking for a recommendation for a good (stable) online broker for buying ETFs on a monthly basis, ideally one that doesn't charge for ETF investments and even better if it supports TransferWise/revolut transfers. Something that's easy to manage and cheap

I'm not counting degiro or other discount brokers, which have a somewhat dubious reputation, as I'm looking to build up a large enough fund and want to be able to sleep an night.

I use IG and Interactive investor. No problems with either. I don’t know what their plans are re brexit. IG shifted spreadbetting to German subsidiary.

20k guarantee on DEGIRO accounts. Anything over is lost if a bailout is needed. I’ve used them for along time but would be wary about going long term. I’m actually interested to know if anyone has a better low cost reliable alternative to use over the long term ? (Custodian account). Etf sound great until you look Into their liablilty in Ireland for tax. Aren’t they liable to that 8yr rollup for Cgt?

Normally your assets (shares, bonds, ETfs, etc) are held in a custodian account and not by Degiro itself. So, in theory, if they went bust, your assets are safe. The 20k is to protect you from errors made by them in executing trades, etc

There is no "8yr rollup for CGT" - there is an Exit tax of 41% on income, gains on disposal and gains on deemed disposals every 8 years on ETF/funds. Degiro are not liable for that, you are - only funds held by Irish based investment/insurance companies do the calculation and payment for you, in all other cases you have to do the work yourself and submit a return to Revenue

They lend your shares out for other people to short. There has been a few threads about them, so I'd prefer not to hold large positions with them if I don't need to, as a number or other brokers offer free etc trading.

Firsttrade.com - support Irish accounts
ETrade.com - not sure if they support Irish accounts
Varguard - don't support Irish residents
All the above support a number of ETF's free to buy. If only vanguard supported Ireland, not sure why they don't as they support a number of EU countries

Tax treatment of ETF's is a bit of a pain to manage in Ireland.

Last edited:
Thanks - I meant generally, in relation to all those brokers listed - can I put money into Degiro (more than the Eur20k I read is the basic guarantee amount) & be confident ?

I use DeGiro, ig, interactive investor and interactive brokers. Soon I will look for a 5th broker in order to diversify :)

DeGiro is the cheapest - which is next cheapest execution-only broker in your experience ?

DeGiro is the cheapest - which is next cheapest execution-only broker in your experience ?
To my experience - which is not huge because I invest from time to time and then I leave my money there without checking until form 11 needs sending or cgt needs to be paid once a year to save 1270 eur per year - interactive brokers never charged me fees more than 1 digits so I would say that's the next cheapest to my view so far

Can you actually still buy ETF and be Ireland based?

I understand they are subject to 8 year rollup and 41% exit tax

Don't IB charge USD10/month for their IBKR Pro plan ?

The IBKR Lite plan, which has zero monthly charge, is not available to non-US residents ?

Back