Best no risk deposit

deco87

I have 100 k in the credit union.

No immediate plans for it.

Is there anywhere I could move it too where I might get a bit of interest-
Appreciate that " risk" could increase return but don't wish to go down that road -
Thanks
D

Although the return rates for State Savings products are low the security is high as they are state backed and there are no tax complications.
Link https://www.statesavings.ie/our-products
The tax "complications" with most deposit accounts are none (DIRT deducted at source) or minimal (declare DIRT via myAccount) and the security of most, if not all, banks is not in question.

But deposit rates and state savings rates are marginal and money will lose value over time due to inflation, so some risk/volatility has to be countenanced in order to try for better returns over the medium/long term.

Can you continiously add to your State Savings investment or are you tied to your initial investment?
I lost a fairly significant amount on shares so like the OP am reluctant to risk getting burnt again

Can you continiously add to your State Savings investment or are you tied to your initial investment?
I lost a fairly significant amount on shares so like the OP am reluctant to risk getting burnt again
You can buy additional state savings products as you need. Any limit on total holdings should be stated in the terms and conditions. Get an SSCN and you should be able to do most or all transactions online.
Previous losses on shares aren't a reason to throw the equity baby out with the negative experience bathwater. Did you have a diversified basket of shares and make prudent/informed buying and selling decisions?

You can buy additional state savings products as you need. Any limit on total holdings should be stated in the terms and conditions. Get an SSCN and you should be able to do most or all transactions online.
Previous losses on shares aren't a reason to throw the equity baby out with the negative experience bathwater. Did you have a diversified basket of shares and make prudent/informed buying and selling decisions?
I had about €30k in various deposit accounts and around €15k in an investment account which lost 10 percent of its value when the Ukraine war happened

I have 100 k in the credit union.

No immediate plans for it.

Is there anywhere I could move it too where I might get a bit of interest-
Appreciate that " risk" could increase return but don't wish to go down that road -
Thanks
D
Try this Government bond below, the .20% Treasury Bond 2027 one. It matures in May 2027 so it is directly comparable with 4 year National Solidarity Bond which pays 0.50% AER.
Goodbody charge .35% commission and €246 per annum for execution only. So €100k invested in the govie would earn after tax (capital gains are tax free) 2.08% AER i.e. more than 4 times the solidarity bond.
1681925254279.png

I had about €30k in various deposit accounts and around €15k in an investment account which lost 10 percent of its value when the Ukraine war happened

But you have lost 10% on your deposit accounts due to inflation.

At least with the shares, they are likely to recover any losses.

Brendan

Equity investments are going to be volatile.
You don't actually lose money until/unless you sell at a loss.
You don't say what charges applied.
Investing in equities - ideally directly - and holding a diversified basket of shares (or even just one already diversified conglomerate share - Berkshire Hathaway or similar) for the long term is the most likely path to best returns.

Back