Best Man Speech

You are focusing on one aspect of comedians routine/jokes, so should we abandon humour altogether then ?
This is a whole other thread topic and not helping Paddy and his speech.
Everyone has different opinions on this "humour". I find those Down Syndrome jokes in very poor taste and I have a brother with Downs so probably I am just sensitive / too close to the reality.
You can never get agreement on this issue IMHO, it's very decisive as to whether it is funny/acceptable or distasteful / unacceptable.

so should we abandon humour altogether then ?
Is that the only other option to making jokes about the genetic effects of certain disabilities? Or perhaps there is some middle ground whereby comedians find things other than disabilities to make fun of.

Michael McIntyre has a very funny routine about disabled parking spaces, which is fairly 'un-PC', and quite funny. Eddie Izzard has some fairly foul-mouthed but funny routines, like the Canteen in the Death Star - very funny.

Frankie needs to move on from schoolyard humour and deal with people as adults. Maybe he has spent too long getting strained scripts handed to him on Mock the Week?

Jees why didn't you marry her yourself so?? ;-)

But seriously that is lovely and I think it will go down very well with her and the parents / grannys/ friends.
With regard to back handedness the only thing seeming that way was the line earlier about seeing a lot less of your mate and the world since he met xxx. But then that's probably just my opinion, women read into things!
But honestly Paddy you are writing very nice things, and well able to take some constructive (trying to be helpful) criticism.
Oh and I presumed you were single since your bridesmaids comments suggested it, I hope they are too in that case!

Thanks a mill. I'm trying to be complimentary to both in it, so I hope it comes across as that. It seems to be on the right lines anyway! I am single yes, not all the bridesmaids are though, so maybe that needs some tweaking!! I don't mind the criticism either, it will help me to make the speech all the better. I suppose if I deliver it correctly on the day, it will comes across that bit more purposeful really. I don't see too many places that I can improve now anyways. I don't want to be trying to make a smart This post will be deleted if not edited to remove bad language out of myself, hence the small amount of jokes I've thrown in. I'd like it to be more sincere than anything, so that's that. Thanks for the pointers all!

Paddy

Your plight has touched me.:) I've taken the liberty of making some amendments which you might want to consider.

S

"Ladies and gentlemen, on behalf of xxx and xxx I'd like to thank you all for joining in this wonderful day for the two of them.. and can I just add what a fine looking bunch you all are!
For those of you who don't know me, my name is Paddy Would-you-like-a-drink. If you see me at the bar later, remember that i only answer to my full name!

First of all, I’d just like to say how honoured and proud I am that X has chosen me to his Best Man for what is the biggest day of life (even including the Munster final).

And I’m sure everyone will agree that xxx, you're looking beautiful today. I'm sure Mike is a proud and happy man right now and that you’ll have a happy life together. It’s a match made in Heaven (which is more than you can say for Tipp versus Kilkenny, unfortunately)

And to the bridesmaids, may I say what a great job you’re doing and how well you look. By the way, “lads, I saw them first!”

So what can say about my good friend X. We’ve been friends for seven yearsa and it’s taken that that length for him to finally realise that yes, I am the best man. It's a great honour to be asked to perform this role, particularly as I value his friendship so highly.

XXX and I first met in Dublin seven years ago. Two country boys, both at loose ends. We met through mutual friends and one night xxx rang me up to see
did I want to go for a pint. We hit if off straightaway. The rest as they say is history. We haven't looked back since. He's my best friend, more like a brother to me really.

We're as close as best friends can be. Actually, I remember a remark
someone made to X one night along the lines of "I'm surpised you and xxx are getting married, I always though it would be you and paddy"!!!!

We've had some great times together, we've travelled to some fantastic places together and we've always had the best of times. I suppose you could say i was responsible for bringing the two together in the first place. I brought him down to my hometown of xxx
, brought him to the local ???? where he met YY and it started off from there. Looking back if I'd have known then what i know now, I'd have left him in dublin and i'd still have my partner in crime. In fact, my list of destinations has declined rapidly ever since he packed his bags and headed for xxx!

But
it’s a relief to know that I’ve left him in responsible hands with xxx and I hope they'll be able to create their own fabulous memories together. I'm sure they will, I, for one know that xxx is the only one for xxx. he's never shut up talking about her ever since they first met and seeing her here today I can see why.
Here's to many more years of that!

Well, I'm going to keep it short and sweet now (like myself), I can see a few heads starting to drop down the back there.. Chin up lads, it's almost over!

xxx, you've been my best friend now for a long time. I wish you and xxx all the very best for the future. May it be a long and prosperous future, filled with many great occasions along the way.

Would you all raise your glasses and join me in toasting the happy couple.

to love, to laughter and to happiness ever after. To the new mr and mrs xxx . . To xxx and xxx"

Michael McIntyre has a very funny routine about disabled parking spaces, which is fairly 'un-PC', and quite funny.

Frankie needs to move on from schoolyard humour and deal with people as adults. Maybe he has spent too long getting strained scripts handed to him on Mock the Week?

personally I dont find McIntyre that funny. Frankie was thrown off MTW as far as I know and yes he sailed close to the wind a lot of the time.

"It's something unpredictable, but in the end its right. I hope you have the time of your lives".

Paddy, I like the revised version of your speech - with the exception of this song, which I've heard a few times at the funerals of young people

Strange that song has been used at funerals and weddings. Anyway, speech sounds good either way.
All in the delivery now, Paddy!

That's the main thing now Shawady. Just hope the voice doesn't go in the middle of it or get squeaky haha

Just to give a little help from the ladies perspective ;)

"Ladies and gentlemen, on behalf of xxx and xxx I'd like to thank you all for joining in this wonderful day for the two of them.. and can I just add what a fine looking bunch you all are! Although not one of us could compare to the beautiful bride.
For those of you who don't know me, my name is Paddy Would-you-like-a-drink. If you see me at the bar later, remember that i only answer to my full name!

First of all, I’d just like to say how honoured and proud I am that X has chosen me to his Best Man for what is the biggest day of life (even including the Munster final).

And I’m sure everyone will agree that xxx, you're looking beautiful today. I'm sure Mike is a proud and happy man right now and that you’ll have a happy life together. It’s a match made in Heaven (which is more than you can say for Tipp versus Kilkenny, unfortunately)

And to the bridesmaids, may I say what a great job you’re doing and how gorgeous you all look today. Just so you know, there's plenty of me to go around!!

So what can say about my good friend X. We’ve been friends for seven years and it’s taken that that length for him to finally realise that yes, I am the best man. It's a great honour to be asked to perform this role, particularly as I value his friendship so highly.

XXX and I first met in Dublin seven years ago. Two country boys, both at loose ends. We met through mutual friends and one night xxx rang me up to see
did I want to go for a pint. We hit if off straightaway. The rest as they say is history. We haven't looked back since. He's my best friend, more like a brother to me really. We're like a real life Batman and Robin - we all know which is which ;) There's a fair few rogue stories I could tell you now, but I'll save the bride those extra blushes!

We're as close as best friends can be. Actually, I remember a remark
someone made to X one night along the lines of "I'm surpised you and xxx are getting married, I always though it would be you and paddy"!!!!

We've had some great times together, we've travelled to some fantastic places together and we've always had the best of times. I suppose you could say i was responsible for bringing the two together in the first place. I brought him down to my hometown of xxx
, brought him to the local ???? where he met YY and it started off from there. Looking back if I'd have known then what i know now, I'd have left him in dublin and i'd still have my partner in crime. In fact, my list of destinations has declined rapidly ever since he packed his bags and headed for xxx!

But
it’s a relief to know that I’ve left him in responsible hands with xxx and I hope they'll be able to create their own fabulous memories together. I'm sure they will, I, for one know that xxx is the only one for xxx. he's never shut up talking about her ever since they first met and seeing her here today I can see why.
Here's to many more years of that!

Well, I'm going to keep it short and sweet now (like myself), I can see a few heads starting to drop down the back there.. Chin up lads, it's almost over!

xxx, you've been my best friend now for a long time. I wish you and xxx all the very best for the future. May it be a long and prosperous future, filled with many great occasions like this to celebrate along the way.

Would you all raise your glasses and join me in toasting the happy couple.

to love, to laughter and to happiness ever after. To the new mr and mrs xxx . . To xxx and xxx"

Sorry if its a bit cheesy but if the lads had to go to the effort the women do on the day they'd want compliments every 5 seconds!!!

Think Ethopia or (if you are a bit older) Biafra

Ah, Ok.

Let's test the hypothisis - I found myself giggling like a schoolgirl at reruns of Men Behaving Badly last week. It's not clever humour, but it was very funny.

Haven't seen the reruns but yes, I can imagine I would still laugh too.

So... the speech went down well. The entire day ran like clockwork and I pulled. Sweet!

So... the speech went down well. The entire day ran like clockwork and I pulled. Sweet!

Was it with a bridesmaid?? And did you take her number??? You gotta give us more than that, start up your own AAM soap drama!!

Not a bridemaid, no.. A cousin of the bride over from England.. and yes I have her number and we are in contact. But who knows what lies ahead. Keep you updated on the drama :)

Back