Best Investments Options in Ireland today?

Gilmartin

So I have dug around the site a fair bit but I'm worried I might be missing something obvious to people that have lived here longer.

Based solely on tax treatment it looks like most favourable investments are roughly:
1/ Your home
2/ Your pension (there are a lot of acronyms here I'm not sure I have my head around entirely)
3/ Individual Shares
4/ UK Investment Trusts (possibly falling into same category as ETFs)
5/ ETFs

Are there any options missing from the list? (e.g. insurance wrapped investments, REITs, what have you)

I know there is more to consider than just tax treatment of an investment, personal circumstances, risk appetite etc.
Let's say if you had spare cash and a long investment horizon
- in the UK the default option would be an ETF in a stocks and shares ISA
- in Norway the default option would be a mutual fund in an ASK

- what would be the default option here?

Thanks for the reply. Had understood that many here were using Investment Trusts as sort of proxies for index funds since they believed they were able to avail of the CGT regime rather than exit tax/rollup nonsense, but that that has been thrown into confusion a bit by a recent revenue brief.

Yes, shame no tax shelters, had naïvely assumed there would be some sort of investment vehicle government would be pushing people towards so that the entire national wealth wasn't just tied up in housing.

In my opinion, the default for most mid-career folk should be to (1) contribute the maximum tax-relieved amount to a pension scheme every year; and (2) with any remaining (after-tax) savings, pay down your mortgage ahead of schedule.

Keep it simple.

Thanks for the reply. Had understood that many here were using Investment Trusts as sort of proxies for index funds since they believed they were able to avail of the CGT regime rather than exit tax/rollup nonsense, but that that has been thrown into confusion a bit by a recent revenue brief.
You said UK investment trusts.

You said UK investment trusts.
But uk investment trusts are taxed under CGT not exit tax , it has been debated widely before here and that is the consensus.
The poster is correct in his assessment surely?

But uk investment trusts are taxed under CGT not exit tax , it has been debated widely before here and that is the consensus.
The poster is correct in his assessment surely?
Ok, I guess I'm not up to date on the relevant discussions here. I'll have to check them.

Back