Best Gas Boiler to install?

suicra05

At the moment I need to replace my gas boiler. Can anybody recommend me the
best boiler to get? Are the high efficency boilers any good?

Thanks

Check http://www.sedbuk.com/

Go for nothing less than 90% efficiency .Going for a combi condensing boiler saves even more energy/money. High efficiency boilers are out dated . Check the sedbuk page.And see the SEI page [broken link removed]
Click yourself through to "at home " and check all the threads there . The condensing boiler is the least you should take, in combination with a solar panel would be the most economic solution. To state the SEI page : "The Irish household would use € 40.000 worth of energy in 20 years ." Saving 20% on this would make any " costly " heating investment like condensing boilers or solar panels more than cheap. The SSIA was the last time you could save 25% , the next better thing is your boiler investment.That's is my opinion.

Spoke to builders merchant about condensing boiler. Says you need a good water pressure for it to work. I live in Dublin 16. He is recommending a system boiler. Any comments.

Are you sure he wasn't talking about combi boilers. Nonetheless one installer told me that condensing boilers need to be on for over 6 hours before they start becoming efficient. Is that true?

No. Neither the one ( pressure) nor the other ( running time ) . Check your suppliers/installers back ground. He might be incompetent . Again : Go for the Sedbuk page http://www.sedbuk.com/ . The Netherlands don't allow for any other boilers in newly build homes . And they don't freeze 'till bedtime .

Recently put in an ATAG Blue Angel Boiler and so far I think it is excellent.
Rated over 90% efficiency by Sedbuk.
Its a modulating condensing boiler.
The modulation range is much higher than many others at around 3.5kW all the way up to approx 23 to 25kW.
It has an outside temperature sensor so can react to particulary cold or warm sudden changes in weather which we get here.
It is fully digitally controlled, I can set exactly the flow temperature of the water to my UFH as well as domestic hot water.

I have no connection with ATAG or any reseller just a happy customer.
As it is a new boiler in a new house I cannot yet say what my annual heating costs are. Boiler price range circa €1850

My house requires a 100k BTU boiler. Another installer informed me not to go with a condensing boiler because:

1) The extra expense may not pay back over it's 15 year lifetime.

2) It's not a mature enough technology

3) They're more complicated, more prone to problems and difficult to find experts in condensing boilers for maintenance.

All in all, I've had three different installers look at my house, and they've all been reluctant to recommend condensing boilers at this time. All are certified and have come recommended by friends.

Are condensing boliers more suited to new builds?

LK

Back