Best External Hardrive

IrishGunner

running low on memory so want to get an external hard drive to store at least 100gb

Checked Komplett and saw the below which is out of stock

[broken link removed]

Saw a few in Pc world but may wait until after the sales

any other decent ones around or recommendations

Cheers

Just bear in mind that if you want one that is portable and powered from the USB (or FireWire or PS2) port rather than a separate power supply then you will need a 2.5" (laptop sized hard drive) enclosure and with these you need to be careful about selecting one that has good heat dissipation characteristics (usually aluminium ones possibly with heat dissipation fins, vents and/or fans) and they may be limited to something like 120GB (the ones I was looking at recently were anyway). On the other hand if portability is not important then a 3.5" enclosure with a separate power supply will do and will be cheaper per MB. Other than that I can't really recommend specific models but would suggest that you browse/search for reviews and recommendations (there are lots of good hardware sites out there).

That's a pretty good price for a 200GB drive (in Ireland), but I'm sure PCWorld and the like will have some stock clearance sales, post-Christmas, and it's the kind of item you might just spot in a 'bargain bin' at 50%...

Will your HD hold out until January? :D

I think the majority of them have either a toshiba or hitachi drive inside. Its only the cases that are different.

Make sure there is a 2 year warranty also. I was delighted with mine for the first 12 months until one day it stopped working :(

alligator said:
I think the majority of them have either a toshiba or hitachi drive inside.
Or Maxtor, or Western Digital, or Samsung, or Seagate or ....

Back